Speaking of very old BSA 250s..........

If you're really old and know how to use a computer then well done! - post all really old stuff here!

Speaking of very old BSA 250s..........

Postby Tman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:16 pm

here's my latest project, a 1925 BSA Roundtank 2.49 HP side valve (or B25 to give it it's correct moniker)-

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/T ... an_photos/

Actually, Googling for parts for this lead me (via Dig's BSA) to this forum.

Been sat under a hedge (literally) for God knows how many years, the tank shows daylight at the bottom and the bottom engine lugs are pitted badly. The engine is still on a STD piston, and looking at the various nuts, it's never been apart until now. The forks didn't come with it, nor did the second engine and carb, but when you start buying parts they tend to come complete with other parts. Not a problem, as they're always good for swaps.

Still need hubs, manual oil pump, magneto and rear frame section should anyone have them. There was a lot of commonality with parts in this range, but I'm more interested in getting a running bike than absolute originality.
Tman

Re: Speaking of very old BSA 250s..........

Postby MOUSE » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:18 am

"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby dig » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:04 am

OI OI Tman, or should we call you Bman now :124 Me thinks that could keep yar busy for a day or two,but its rather funny that the older they are it seems that parts can be still found with less trouble than some of the later prewar stuff,good luck an may good fortune shine upon you in your searches for treasure :29
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Tman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:19 pm

MOUSE"]:39 look forward to seeing the end result.
Something like this http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/cl ... d-tank.jpg

Something like that originally, but I'm hoping to use a dinky little front drum brake (the 1926s did anyway) rather than the little rear drum + the dummy rim brake also on the back wheel.
The little front drum will give better braking and look better, and the linkage for the rim brake is quite complex (read- "rare") apparently.
*If* I could get the missing bits, I reckon I could have it running by next spring and road-worthy for the summer runs-out, but it's just the luck of the draw as to what turns up.
Think I'll join GBC's Old Codgers (VMCC) Club and see what their members mag has for sale. Can't see too many 90 year olds touting their junk on Ebay....
Tman

Postby MOUSE » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Valid point, there must be a host of sheds full of usable spares, but owners won't have a bar of new fangled p.c tech (although it's been around for 30 years)

Hope you can source the bits, looks like a project you will get a lot of pleasure from.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Return to Pre-War/Vintage Bikes