[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3940)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3940)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3940)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3940)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3940)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3940)
Classic Bike Forum • View topic - Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:09 am

I have an updated Oil filter ~ which was 'created ' for me by a diesel mechanic and his tech head mate in Melbourne Australia~ ( Lost touch with them several years back ~ May email anyway )

As a result I have a Fleetway filter LF 3460 .

Now I have seen a similiar adaptor on EBay ~ cannot recall who the trader was.. but I am sure they are on my Web site lists ~ but short of panning through dozens of sites ~

This adaptor merely screws onto the original housing thread and allows the 'modern' filter to screw onto the outer seal aligning perfectly with the original seal seat ~

Has any one else bought their oil filter into the 21st Century ?? (After all the original is the same oil filter fitted to a (French ) Simca of the 60s !!!!!!!!!!! )

Does anyone know the actual thread dimensions required ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Postby Welsh Wizard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 am

Only filter my Commandos have is the metal gorse ones in the oil Tank :153 :203
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:16 pm

WW

I am curious. Is yours a very early model or has it been removed ?

The standard filter was a (PH2839 Fram) That filter also fits the Cit 2CV , Simca and others. Most of which also have long since journeyed to the bone yard in the sky ~

And with that in mind ~ we figured that even oil filter technology has long since evolved ~

I would be considering fitting the filter mount which sits on the frame just in front of the rear wheel ~ near the swing arm mount ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:06 am

Here it is ~

The stock filter threads, they are 16mm X 1.5mm pitch.

A thread adapter is available from http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/ and also CNW.
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 am

3 X 1971 750's, no filter other than the oil tank metal one, 1 850 1973 still no filtyer other than in the loi tank, and the 1974 850 frame has a T110 engine being fitted, which if all goes well will have a Morgo barrel fitted before it finished. :210
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

Iv'e seen remote filter on Nortons that scew on at the front of frame behind the gearbox, and these would be easiest to service, but visible if you are a purist. No idea who supplies them.
The remote filter that fits hidden behind the wheel, http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyoil.htm have one on my T140. It takes some time to get to it because you have to remove the rear wheel to change it over. But ... this ensures i regularly clean the rear wheel :) more importantly check bearings, oil chain, spokes, swing arm etc while oil is draining from sumps.
Easiest way to remove filter is with a filter wrench. I removed one with a screwdriver levering through the guts of one once, and it got messy, as was on really tight, and the can split.

You can get a magnet thingy that attaches to these to assist attract metal particles, anyone use these, or are they a waste of time?
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyfilterplus.htm

Who was looking for idiot lights, i see they have some ..
http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/
Last edited by MOUSE on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 am

REALLY ~ WW

I assume that by your choice ? .. be interested in your theory behind removing the oil filter ~ !!!! Would have tort be detrimental to longevity ~ (??) ~ as opposed to higher pressure or volume ~ :250

:29 :29
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am

Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:04 am

Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 am

Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop