Model designation

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Model designation

Postby MOUSE » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:45 am

TO Club NZ are questioning what the D in T140D stands for. Anyone know for sure (other than dodgy, delicious, disaterous, dribble as in oil, desirable, etc,etc) the real meaning?
My guess is Derivative.

We know the rest ...

T140V = 5 speed

T140RV = 5 speed spec for American export

T140J = Jubilee

T140D = ??

T140E = Emissions

T140ES = Electric Start

T140AV = Anti Vibration

T140LE = Limited Edition

T140EX = Executive
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Re: Model designation

Postby Welsh Wizard » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:47 am

Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks for the profile WW, i didn't get an answer in there, did i miss it, does it mean "Development"?

My E ( unsanitised with balanced crank and belt clutch) is as summed up but better and why i love riding it.
On a fine day, on a good A-road, you'll still get the fun of the big Triumph's looks, lightness, brakes, handling, righteous sound and, above all, the brute surge of power when you grabbed a handful of throttle, a meaty response for which there is no substitute, until it's brought up short around 80mph by the vibration. Crude it might be, but the experience is undeniably effective and exhilarating -- more so on the Special than on the subsequently sanitised 'E' variants.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
MOUSE

Postby Welsh Wizard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:44 am

"For just two years from 1979 the T140D Specials took their place among these 750 Bonnevilles. The Special was essentially a styling exercise triggered by Yamaha's successful XS650 Special but it contained features which would become standard on the stock T140E"

they refer to it as a styling excercise, more likely a ploy to get a few more sales!
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:25 am

And D stands for :112
MOUSE

Postby Welsh Wizard » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:23 am

Lets con the DUMB punters
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Return to Triumph