SEIZED PISTON

One of the most prestigious of all British marques, AJS began in 1897 when Joe Stevens started to build engines at his screw factory at Wolverhampton. His four sons began to produce motorcycles in 1909, using their own engines of various sizes. In the 1920s AJS were consistently successful in motorsport and development work culminated in the awesomely fast mahines that were winning races just before the outbreak of war in 1939. The famous 'Porcupines' carried the AJS banner after the war but the firm declined once they gave up racing in 1954.

SEIZED PISTON

Postby milton » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm

I HAVE NEWLY PURCHASED AN 1960 MODEL 8 AJS AND THE PISTON HAS SEIZED SEVERAL TIMES IF YOU GO ABOVE 40MPH. IT UN-SEIZES IN MINUTES AND IS FINE I HAVE FOUND THAT THERE ARE NO PIPS IN THE PISTON GROOVE TO ALIGN THE RING IS THIS COMMON I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT THINK THE RING COULD MOVE AROUND AND NOT BED IN, ALSO I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE OIL LEVEL SHOULD NEVER COVER THE RETURN HOLE IN THE CRANKCASE. I HAVE ALWAY HAD TRIUMPHS SO A BIT OF A NOVICE WITH THE AJS ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY USEFUL. DAVID
milton

Re: SEIZED PISTON

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:07 am

Just a thought have you checked the bore size to piston size, I had some thing sim on a BSA years back, I strippped it down and the bore was perfect to 3/4 way down then it went tight, looks like the reborer hand used a dull tip and it had pushed off at the bottom of the bore, and when he honed it all he did was flash it and check the top of the bore and not the bottom
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Return to AJS