Chequered Flag Wax Cotton Jackets

Insert your useful classic bike web links here......

Chequered Flag Wax Cotton Jackets

Postby jay-ninja » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I recently bought a jacket from Chequered Flag, they are currently selling a black Trialmaster style jacket on ebay at a very reasonable £89. Here's my quick review;

I wasn't sure what to expect for this price tag - But actually the jacket is really nice. It's a heavyweight 12 Oz wax cotton with a check lining that's exactly the same pattern as my Barbour International. The fit is good - not tailored but equally not too baggy. It has all the features you'd expect from a Belstaff Trialmaster, four main pockets, a zipped inside pocket, adjustable cuffs and buckle and strap at the neck plus shoulder and elbow patches. As for it's ability to keep the rain out, well I wore it on the bike through a 40 minute rain shower and it kept me dry !

What don't I like about it ? Well not much really, the press studs are shiny brass yet the buckles are antique, so it's a shame they didn't use antique all round. Also the press studs don't feel quite as good quality as my Barbour Intl, they spin around on the fabric rather than being stamped firmly on - that said they don't feel at all like they are likely to fall off. A nice detail is it also has two mesh vent studs under each arm.

Another feature is the interchangeable flag option on the left breast pocket - again a nod to Belstaff. Basically you get a selection of flags; Union jack, Stars & Stripes, Welsh, Scottish and Irish which use velcro to attach them to the tag under the pocket. But quite why anyone would want to fly the welsh flag is beyond me u k fl ag

The shoulder and elbow patches, well again being picky, but it would be nice if these were double stitched like a Belstaff rather than just single.

I've worn the jacket solidly over the past month and I have to say I'm loving it - It just feels solid. This jacket is the cheapest in the Speedwear range but I have say it certainly doesn't feel budget. They also sell a de-luxe 'Continental in Black or Brown (£169) and that has a zip-out liner and pockets for armour - So you can get some extra insulation and protection for a bit more cash.

Here's the ebay link if anyones interested;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Wax-Cotton-Vintage-Style-Motorcycle-Jacket-/301011460273?pt=UK_Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item8bbcaebe7d
Last edited by jay-ninja on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jay-ninja

Re: Chequered Flag Wax Cotton Jackets

Postby Tman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:30 pm

Mr Jay seems to have posted this post before....how many of the things did he buy that he needs to keep posting reviews..? :1204
Tman

Re: Chequered Flag Wax Cotton Jackets

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:14 am

Perhaps because the Britons are not English, and we are not spamming the forum
After all Tman right just about all your post are about M/C gear you have just purchased, are we not sure you are not just a motorcycle shop trying to promo your stock
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Apology

Postby jay-ninja » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:14 am

I understand and appreciate your points. I am a biker that I can say, but I realise that I've only posted on this forum when I've reviewed a wax jacket. So I have to admit to having a bit of a wax jacket fetish - just see my Pintrest Board -http://www.pinterest.com/mcqueencool/classic-wax-cotton-jackets/

I don't work for the supplier and I'm not in any way their agent or posting reviews in return for goods - I thought that classic bikers might be interested in a review as it was the style of jacket that would appeal. However, I do realise I've not made myself part of this community and haven't contributed enough to the forum for my opinions to be viewed without a certain amount of understandable scepticism. The Welsh jibe was probably not helpful either - I was joking of course !

So, apologies to members, I shall not post anymore on this subject - unless asked !

J

Anyway, to lighten the mood, here's a pic of a cool bloke, wearing a cool jacket riding a cool bike;

jay-ninja

Return to Useful Links