Trident Special ~ Alive

Drop your classic bike pics in here................
Japanese, British, vintage, pre-war, classic superbike, were're not prejudiced!

Re: Trident Special ~ Alive

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:25 am

A Tripler mate of mine and company went to the IOM Manx last month~

Here is a couple of clips related to their tuning the Rocket III they ran and a clip taken form the public stands of the bike ~

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... nx2012.jpg

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... runIOM.mp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsi9rhso ... plpp_video

A victory champagne ~

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa21 ... tralia.jpg
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Stuart SS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 am

Put in a great trot yesterday early . I left the blokes I rode to the Sunday meet with, and pressed on to "The Toll gates" at the top of the Gillies Mountain Range and back to the meet ~

All running 9/10ths. carbs fine.. (If not quite as economical as the "Super carbs" ) ~ Clutch working fine just a tad tricky to disengage once hot !

(Just waiting for the final bill with shippping on the Triples Tec clutch.)

I whizzed back the road house where we opted to meet this last Sunday as our regular venue was closed .

And as we sat out the front, we have a great view of any bikes that appear on the highway ~ .

The highway from the coast and Cairns comes off the Gillies mountian about 15 km and finally hits the top of yet ' another' large rise about 1 km short of the Roadhouse.

The highway then drops sharply down (again) into a gully before rising again on a right hand sweeper ~ just before a T section which all turn left to acess the only entrance to the roadhouse ~ on the left about 15 metres from the T turnoff from the highway ~

Great position to watch the Cairns ' Gillies kamakzie brigade" or any arrive, turn off and into the parking lot !

Man!! :shock: I must be getting too old~ some of these sports bike riders are wild!

These blokes and girls hammer down off the rise.. through the gully and then fly into the left hand turn then GUN the bike the 15 m to the park lot turn..

Even with my Hilda F1000 front brakes, my Trident would never be able to howl up and brake that hard in 15 m !! Good watch though! :dance: :clap:

One bloke on an Aprilia who was checking out my T150V and the T120 reckoned that these classics had it all ~ class and individuality ~ he ain;t telling us anything new eh !?

He also reckons Cairns blokes are insane with several rides even scraping their knees coming up the Gillies ~

Is he not trying or what !! I would have thought the average road tyre would not allow for such extreme riding tactics???

He did say that his Aprilia was way too high despite lowering and lower profile tyres ~ ???
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:45 am

Okay

I am going on annual leave end of next week ~

Got quite a work shop list to cover ~

1- Replace the clutch assembly as the Charlie Barnes unit turned up last week ~ and really looks the business ~

(the extensions are mount rods fitted prior to balancing)

2- Rework the Super carbs

3 - I have ordered baffle extensions and will 'tune' them in conjunction with the carbs ~ as several of us believe the bottom end issues I have been having with the Super carbs are directly related to the fact that I have an overly free flowing exhaust system with the Viking big bores pipes and the T120 Mufflers

4- Replace the oil gauge mount pod with a SAAS unit .

5- I have also ordered the set of progressive wind fork springs for the front end. I expect all these items will be be here in the first week of my break .
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 am

That clutch assembly looks a nice bit of work. Looks pricy, too...
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:22 am

Tman

Ahhmmm Yes ~ it was not cheap ~ although as one of the fitters at work said ~ 'Yep ~ there is a lot of work gone into that Puppy !! "

And it also includes the optimum 7202 tapered pull rod bearing which ~ IF you can find them in Australia at all , are around the $100 mark ! the clutch plate is a Charlie Barnes special build at 0.029 " Road tested and proven ~

Shipping to Ozzie was $134 USD. Clutch as a bought unit ~ not exchange ~ was $650 USD ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:00 am

The text associated with video says it all~ In fact all about the debate over baffling V straight trhough exhausts ~

Triumph Trident T150V (1974) Special/ Cafe baffling saga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpDC9c3A ... ature=plcp

After two years of riding after the completion of my Trident, I have been struggling with the bike. Initially it was simply a bit of a beast and rides too often turned into wrestling matches ! It simply did not like low end and traffic issues ~

After many hours tinkering and tweaking the question came down to the bike having a straight through exhaust ~ Finally under suggestion by a fellow (professional) Tripler I bought a set of baffles and fitted them to the Bike ~

It has Viking big bore and T120 mufflers ~ Paul Bryant of Viking exhaust NZ was adamant that e had no encountered any issues with his big bore or any combination muffler/s! And might add I totally respect Paul's input and his professional skills~

But the question also came over about the altitude I reside at 600 + M / 2000 feet above sea level ~

So this last week I fitted the baffles and did seem tweaking & retuning today ~

First the decibel level was noticeable, much lower ~

And NO more of what I call Hurley Davidson muffler woofing on back throttle ~ ( not back flashing or back firing.. just what I believe is typical of straight through exhausts )

Result~ The bike has NEVER idled so low or smoothly ~ it is far more responsive at the bottom rev range and a FAR-far smoother bike in suburbia and traffic ~

Plus clutch is happier ~ the bike scales our driveway ~ with much more GUSTO!

A Win I believe ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Well ~ done a few miles ~ and the bike is a lot better than previous ~

Much more user friendly and tractable ~ Still feel the baffles need a further tweak to accommodate mid range and upper performance ~

I have now refitted the "Super Carbs" and pleasantly surprised to find that the engine runs closer on the two different sets of carbs than they have done before ~

if you take the item to watch the second video I have listed ~ the second video has the bike running with the Super carbs ~ but it is definitely "hunting" !

Now they idle almost identically ~

I am planning on doing some more test runs later this morning ~ :220
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 am

Well the Holidays are over and it is back the Grind ~

( Did not even get any fishing in ! %^$%$&^$ ~ Either too windy ~ raining or just too hot ~ and when it is Hot in the Tropics ..it is scorching ~ )

Anyway ~ I spent almost a full week playing with the Super carbies ~ and switched needles to every combination with NO resolve~

My original plan was was to perfect my own build carbs and the have another bash at getting the Super carbs right!

( This really took some explaining to Ms M as all she saw was the video she did the previous week and then it was running like crap !!)

I found or recalled that when I first ordered huge batches of parts in the early days ~ that I had opted to order the T160 five ring needles as a option for my primary build carbies ~

The Super carbs are fitted with the standard 2 rings ~ I even tried fitting the annodised slides ~ ( both sets are 3 1/2 slides) but I simply could not get the stutter at throttle break and thus the falter from low/ bottom end response !

I also removed the baffles ad flattened out three rows of six as the mid range response and above was dulled !

So I refitted my carbs with T160 needles and stock 3 1/2 slides and 150 & 106 jets and the bike FLIES ~~ It is "on Fire" ~

Even the club events co-ordinator waltzed up to me as two of us were warming up to head home Sunday morning, exclaiming the Trident sounded superb! I had even polished the bike up for the annual Toy run on Saturday morning ~ so looking fantastic ~

So that put the Cream on the pie ~ LOL

I was also talking with the senior British bike expert on the club scene and he exclaimed IHO without hesitation that I need No 4 slides to make the Super carbs work ~ But it best be right as new annodised slides are going to cop me $150

So i plan to get some fun out of the bike before attempting to tweak the Super carbs ~ and even fitting the Charlie Barnes Clutch as the current clutch is working just fine now ~ DESPITE the fact I flogged the absolute crap out it over the past few weeks ~

Although I feel the balance factor may be less than perfect ~

And further more the Commando is also flying !! Both firing on the first kick as well ~

The Commando presented a challenge when I fitted SS Bling plates on the rocker end/ covers on the head.

I had to have up to four go’s at sealing the covers leaking oil from the rocker shafts ~ and it was until I used Selastic 732 and allowed to cure before nipping up the mount studs, before I finally go them all to seal ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 am

All nice to hear, but I bet you don't know how to set the timing on a Yammie CT175 Stoo.... nz-flag111
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:01 pm

don't know how to set the timing on a Yammie CT175 Stoo

Ahhh Sorry mate ~ thats a big NOPE!!

I know nothing about them at all ~ is it a 2 stroke or what !?
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Gallery