NORTON ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE WORLD LAUNCH

The greatest name in British motorcycles dates from 1901, when James Lansdowne Norton began building motorcycles with French and Swiss engines.

NORTON ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE WORLD LAUNCH

Postby Welsh Wizard » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:33 am

Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Re: NORTON ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE WORLD LAUNCH

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 am

Oh dear !!

:208 :208 :208

Its too expensive... It can't work ~ Pardon my cynism ...

And this Norton Story has more 'extensions' than Neighbours ..

How many times can it be given mouth to mouth ~

I mean fair dinkum.. it should be a traditional name in motorcycles ~ BUT ~ HEY !!! ~ Just maybe the Chinese or even the Koreans should take over the helm ~ If it is even feasible they would have snapped it up !! (??)
( After all the indians made a go of The Enfield ~ )

But last time out the 'New" norton was out ~ It was around $$$40 K USD ~

yeah right ~ wank wank !!! (After all mostof the big tool spenders went .. "PING!! " last year and after 2006 ~ )
:20 :20

worm monkey :502 :502 :502
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Allanfox » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Good point Stuart without a price quite meaninless, I wish them all the best would be great to see Norton back with some great new bikes but I sense this is not a Hinckly type operation. If you think Bloor waited a few years and saw some return on his investment before launching the 'retro' bikes. Not sure it too good an idea to launch a Comandoo lookalike first, only us old farts will want one! :158

I guess you could build a Speedtriple engined Triton, not cheap but cool! rock
Allanfox

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:12 pm

AND ~ Back to you Allan ~

Good call..The Hinckley factory has proven it can be done and has gone through quite a metamorphosis since rising as it were from the ashes of a failed British bike industry and made a real go of it.

But the key is value for money as Digless said some time back .. ~ " Thrash today .. trash tomorrow ~"

The point that they are a fine machine but look how many are in the breakers now ~ Parts as we know are every where ~

That aside they have produced a reliable, competitive, cost efficient machine that represents value for money ~

And i don't see how a high cost machine/s will survive when proven machines like Buell have closed their doors ~

To endorse this , IMO the number of high flyer's has been dramatically ~ dramatically thinned ~ since the Big Buck crash of last year ~
The numbers high flying individual with money to burn, have dramatically crashed and burned ~ Then the majority of the survivors are a new breed savvy investors ~

Chrysler, GMH and Ford are dropping the big guzzlers .. Hummer is being dropped form the ranks .. Fiat while supporting the US industry in its economic revival is not interested in the Big wheels of the heady fast dollar days of yesterday ~

I just don't see how ~ a yet again revived company, name can survive with a two model range (essentially the same) relying on a minority, that WAS ` was renowned for pockets bulging with cash to burn!!

AND I don't see how they will now produce the same machine that was previously around $45 K USD could be suddenly produced and sold at a same or competitive price to a now proven and established Triumph Sprint for example at around $16K AUD ~ and survive .. it does not add up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:204
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 pm

More the reason to own a shed full of :207 today :250 tomorrow old bangers :151

worm speaking of ...what do you call a row of houses that prosies live in?

Block of flaps.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 am

shed full of today tomorrow old bangers

Yeah good and well Mouse..

But ~ ahh ~ a great legacy for your Grand kids ~ But which ones.. The Sprint might be a good choice ~
(Actually a good topic for debate.. "Which modern bike is worth "barnin' up" for a classic in the future ~ monkey )
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:27 am

Dunno, kids don't seem too interested in mechanical things ( or live music and dancing for that matter) these days , youngest ones on most runs are 30+, so why barn em, ride em to death.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
MOUSE

Postby dig » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:14 am

:69 they be a waste of good barn space :123 :203
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Stuart SS » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:40 am

kids don't seem too interested in mechanical things

Well one fine example is my young nephew at 12 ~ Into pooters~ guitar ~ AND all things classical Bike and car ~ He is only one of course. but then M's Bro's sons (4 of them 7 > 19 are interested as well as two of the eldest are apprentice chopper mechanics..)

But I reckon many of the 70s bikes were never highly regarded enough to consider deliberately barning... We all shiver at the thought of how many bikes were simply trashed ~ or even sent to the crushers... monkey monkey

Even in the 80s I recall walking through a scrap metal yard and seeing a variety of bike parts and frames.. and thought not much more as they were japanese ~ but now even the Japanese are becoming classic as can be seen herein.
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:22 am

Kids been hanging around uncle's shed sniffing oily rags :) That's great stuff, my FIL is a model engineer and their club has the same lack of interest to get kids involved in things that go whir. Many of them getting on in age and it's a shame some youngsters can't latch onto their wealth of workshop knowledge of lathes, welders etc as well as make something productive and have fun, and possibly start a career option.
Your relatives could well be the next Aussie state of art motorcycle inventors :151
MOUSE

Next

Return to Norton