widleine - slimline, what's the difference?

The greatest name in British motorcycles dates from 1901, when James Lansdowne Norton began building motorcycles with French and Swiss engines.

widleine - slimline, what's the difference?

Postby dommi88 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:42 pm

Hi
Just joined and hoping one of you petrol heads can help me out. I have a Norton Dominator 88 in cafe racer trim. When I bought it I was told it was a slimline featherbed frame but a local "expert" tells me it's actually a wideline...how can you tell the difference?
Cheers
Mel
dommi88

Re: widleine - slimline, what's the difference?

Postby Bill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:19 pm

as far as i'm aware it's something to do with the distance between the upper frame rails. arguments for both, but the slimline seams to be the popular choise among Triton builders.

Welcome to the form by the way.. mines a :151 :68
Bill
Site Admin

Postby L.A.B. » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 pm

dommi88 wrote:I was told it was a slimline featherbed frame but a local "expert" tells me it's actually a wideline...how can you tell the difference?

Wideline example (pdf page 10 [27.93MB]) http://www.classicbike.biz/Norton/Broch ... ochure.pdf

Slimline example (the new frame for 1960 pdf page 9 [3.72MB]): http://www.classicbike.biz/Norton/Broch ... ochure.pdf
L.A.B.

Postby dommi88 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks guys,
I guess the local "expert" is not as expert as he assumes, the frame is definitely a slimline.
Cheers
dommi88

Postby graffian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 am

The seat support tubes are the most obvious clue, they are straight on a wideline and rounded[where the shock mount is]
on the slimline.
Funny someone should say slimlines are more popular, I always thought it was the other way round.
graffian

Postby Welsh Wizard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:17 am

graffian wrote:The seat support tubes are the most obvious clue, they are straight on a wideline and rounded[where the shock mount is]
on the slimline.
Funny someone should say slimlines are more popular, I always thought it was the other way round.

Every one I knew in the 60's reconed the wide line was a better road holdiong machine, and that the slimline came into being for comfort of te rider only.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 am

Yeah, I always understood that a Wideline frame with a pre-unit Trumpet donk was the most desirable combination, but probably not much in it really.
Some riders have said that the Triumph OIF handles better than either Notrun frame, but such anarchic heresy is to be suppressed... :26
Tman

Postby MOUSE » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:01 am

Easy to tell from looking as tubes narrow in on slimline, but frame numbers are ...

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Featherbed_frame

They really are like riding on rails,i had a slimline frame with 6T, but nothing wrong with handling of OIF but then i don't know any different last 20 years ..

(apart from cubbie, and it handles surprisingly well for a wee bike)
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Return to Norton