Commando face lift 2011

The greatest name in British motorcycles dates from 1901, when James Lansdowne Norton began building motorcycles with French and Swiss engines.

Commando face lift 2011

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:01 am

Well ~ Its been sixteen years since I restored my Commando 850 73 ~

While it still looks good and draws a lot of positive comment I have decided to do a renovation job!

But then I spotted a small blister on the rear of the fuel tank ~ (Yep ~ steel tank!) Worse still the paint has remained immaculate all this time ~

And the tank is Creme coated !!

And after some consultation, my thoughts were merely re-enforced ~ So it is a 'new' tank ~ I spent hours panning through links and web sites ~ and Fleabay ~

Tuesday last I scored a nice tidy unit ex UK ~ fibreglass ~ Triumph Twins Ltd ~ GBP 170.50
Approximately AU $262.95

So that's one down ~

Next the seat is decided not up to my standard ~ Well it would be easy to replace the cover , the base is a tad sad and been repair job ever since the restoration ~ SO IMO its time for a new unit ~ And what a buyer's bizarre ~

No purchase made yet but considering unit from RGM and also several USA sites ~ after all the dollar AUD is very high now against the green back ~ $1.07 AUD today and the hexperts reckon we will go $1.20 AUD even $1.30 AUD !!

Then some new zorst roses and perhaps new header pipes ~ And then we have isolastics rubber boots ~ (That will be fun !! ~ not~ )

(The seat cover is not accurate in the photo, and not that serious as I patched it up ~ )

Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: Commando face lift 2011

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Stuart what measure are you planning to stop the aro's from eating the fibre glass tank, I have heard some of the new adtitives will devour a fibre glass tank in weeks. it may be worth the extra on finding a good steel tank , possibly ex Arizona or the like ( and yes I know they are around the $500 USD mark,) and they are making new ones in The UK
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey, nice bike!

Norties ain't really my thing (although I wouldn't say no to a nice Inter or Manx..) but I'd give that puppy houseroom any day. The fecker looks fast even standing still!
Nice one mate.
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 pm

John

I have heard some horror stories too. But I will be looking into it seriously before a drop of single Go-Juz enters that vessel !! monkey
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:03 am

Found a lot of competitive prices from well established traders on Seats ~ Most in UK unfortunately ~ but seem <$110 GBP> is the bench mark ~

And zorst roses standard are reasonable, but if one goes into stainless its a whole upper echelon market .. :158
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 pm

once the word stainless comes into play the price always goes up, costs on stainless are getting higher mainly due to Chinese demand for steel, we may be in a recession but the Chinese aren't and are buying all they can get
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:06 am

China is becoming SCARY ~

A mate and also a dormant member of this site, has just returned form China where he is doing business ~

He posted on TOL ~

Just got back from another trip in China .., been up there for a while this time ...

a few stats and very scary ...

i was reading a local paper ... this year between Jan 1st and March 31st Volkswagen have sold in 3 months 580,000 cars and forecast for all brands in new car sales in China in 2011 is 21 million .... that is more new cars than sold in Australia since 1988 in total and in one year in China .... and they haven't even got started yet ...

The limit on CC capacity on motorcycles has also been removed (was 250cc or 200cc or something like that) and last week i saw some serious Ducati's , Triumph sporties and all .... the weirdest thing was seeing a bunch of Chinese guys in the outskirts of Beijing on Harley's with ape hangers and all patched with "Beijing 1% club" ... wow ...
a new world ...

Steve
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Tue May 10, 2011 7:20 am

Well Now ~

I scored a replacement fuel tank offa FLeabay ~ Ex UK ~ Triumph spares ~ (described a resprayed tank but left in storage for some time.) It is not immaculate and sports a couple of imperfections but I guess we can live with that for now ~

A very nice Red Wine colour and unfortunately not the same red as my existing colour. This then brings on the issue of side panels which will have to be resprayed or replaced (?)

I would rather replace them and respray the newbies the same colour as this tank ~ Another query which I am not totally sure about ~ One comment was that fibreglass fuel tanks are not deemed Kosher in Australia ~ (?) But I am sure I have seen numerous fibreglass fuel tanks over the years??

Anyway internal coating would also be in order ~ KBS list a well rated kit for this purpose ~

Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue May 10, 2011 10:59 pm

looks good, plenty of side covers around.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 pm

WW

If you see or hear of any give me a yell please, as I have only looked at sites such as Norvil shop and Fleabay and it is not looking good ~ '

New steels run around $70 AUD each ~ not checked fibreglass though ~

Even watching Trade me NZ ! ~ especially after what you were telling me of the last swap meet in NZ !
Cheers
Stuart
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Norton