Triton Wheel Size

The greatest name in British motorcycles dates from 1901, when James Lansdowne Norton began building motorcycles with French and Swiss engines.

Triton Wheel Size

Postby Flewbags » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 am

My apologies for this but I have started this thread on another section as well but wasn't sure where was best to put it.

I've a Triton in the process of being rebuilt (aren't they always??) and I am looking to replace the rims. I'm considering reducing to a 17" rim front and rear (from 18" rear & 19" front at present). My reasoning is to give me a wider tyre choice and allow a wider rear tyre (in conjunction with a new swing arm). I'm not a traditionalist and the bike is already 'modded' so there are no issues with originality. My concern is that I don't know if it will improve the way it handles or adversely disrupt handling through changes to the trail length.
Has anyone any comment on this or indeed is anyone running a Norton Slimline on Short Roadholders and 17" wheels??
u k fl ag
Flewbags

Re: Triton Wheel Size

Postby Welsh Wizard » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 am

Flewbags wrote:My apologies for this but I have started this thread on another section as well but wasn't sure where was best to put it.

I've a Triton in the process of being rebuilt (aren't they always??) and I am looking to replace the rims. I'm considering reducing to a 17" rim front and rear (from 18" rear & 19" front at present). My reasoning is to give me a wider tyre choice and allow a wider rear tyre (in conjunction with a new swing arm). I'm not a traditionalist and the bike is already 'modded' so there are no issues with originality. My concern is that I don't know if it will improve the way it handles or adversely disrupt handling through changes to the trail length.
Has anyone any comment on this or indeed is anyone running a Norton Slimline on Short Roadholders and 17" wheels??
u k fl ag

If you are going to reduce rims keep the 1" size diff between front and rear so you don't alter the steering head angle, and as you are doing the mod it may be worth changing to folding footpegs to increase peg clearance to the ground on cornering.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 am

Another aspect is the Speedo ~

I dropped the rear wheel to 18" ~ but to compensate and balance with the 19" front alloy I already had I had appropriate higher or lower profiles Avon's fitted front and rear. I went the smaller for same reason, wider tyre change but then settled for Avon's !

But my Smiths Speedo is accurate up to about 60 mph and goes a tad AWOL after that ..:158 ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Welsh Wizard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Stuart SS wrote:Another aspect is the Speedo ~

I dropped the rear wheel to 18" ~ but to compensate and balance with the 19" front alloy I already had I had appropriate higher or lower profiles Avon's fitted front and rear. I went the smaller for same reason, wider tyre change but then settled for Avon's !

But my Smiths Speedo is accurate up to about 60 mph and goes a tad AWOL after that ..:158 ~

As Stuart states the speedo will be effected, but if you are still in the planning stage this is easy, what ever wheel you plump for tie it up to a speedo and drive for that model and wheel size, it can be done by a different drive box or maybe having to replace the speedo.

One thing down my way I have foynd that the 19' classic tyres are cheeper than most of the 17" or 18" alyernative you gain access to, and unless you are planning to be full bore every where you go whats the need for the change.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Return to Norton