1969 t120 bonneville

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Re: 1969 t120 bonneville

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:16 am

In this day and age, such a find will most likely be in the States or some third world country, I think most will have gone from the old sheds round the UK by now, but you could find a long shot some where, best of luck.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:29 am

Re above just had a e-mail from a mate in the UK about a barn find.
A classic Combo belonging to the same family for nearly a 100 years found in their barn will be auctioned at the Royal Bath and west Show grounds, Shepton on Mallet
Subject: Re: seen in Telegraph? last saturday..
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby jediwarrier » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 am

hi thanks for your feedback..any information is appreciated..regards
jediwarrier

Postby Paul in NZ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm

What you need to appreciate is that the 68 to 70 models years are highly sought after by everyone and the chances of finding even a frame or engine for that kind of price would hard to quantify. Sure you might get lucky enough to find the one owner that has lived under a rock for the last 30 years but don't count on it.

Building the bike up bit at a time will be the most expensive way of doing it and you may then have issues making it legal.

By far the cheapest thing to do is to buy a complete bike and go from there BUT like with all things unless you school yourself up and learn to identify the right bits you will get ripped off with something pretending to be something it isnt.

Sounds harsh but its the truth.

In short you will need more cash and more knowledge. Alternately look at a decent 500 twin (68 onwards) as these are often overlooked and can be made to run very well.
Paul in NZ

Postby jediwarrier » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 pm

hi, thanx for your advice..regards
jediwarrier

Postby 1965T120R » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm

jediwarrier wrote:hi, i used to own a 1969 t120 bonny and was wondering if it was still possible to get hold of one that needs restoring..regards

Baxter out of Iowa for parts and FleaBay works too so compare prices. Some might not agree but building your bike from the ground up as long as you are careful is a very fulfilling experience. Just check out my Build Thread in this section here with the link to my blog and I am not building my bike back to stock but it is still just as exciting of an experience since I get to build on a blank canvas. Oh I could of had many 1963 - 1970 Triumphs by now for what I have into my build BUT they would not be "My Bike" now would they. Make it your own not somebody elses idea of what you should have. After all you will be the one riding it not anybody else.

:208
It is not what you ride but that you ride that counts and no matter what you ride or even if you cannot ride we are all brothers and sisters in the wind and in spirit. http://1965t120r650.blogspot.com/
1965T120R

Postby Paul in NZ » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm

The other way of thinking about this is the whole 'matching numbers' question.

Top dollar goes to the bike that has 'matching' engine and frame numbers. All that proves is that the frame and the left hand engine case may have left the factory at the same time. Given the fact that all old motorcycles have at one time been largely valueless and also that old Triumph can - if sufficiently abused - explode in a catastrophic fashion. There are lots and lots of old triumphs about without these matching numbers.

In my case I DO have matching numbers... Only trouble is that the ones on the frame are genuine (1970 TR6C, 1970 frame is unique) but the engine is nearly all from 1967... Amazing how they managed to pre number the engine 3 years before they needed it eh? A blind eel could tell that they are fake but the fact is the bike runs well and has always been fun to own. We have ridden it in excess of 100,000 miles over the decades (its in semi retirement now).

Fact is - I cant see the bloody engine numbers from the saddle and the only issue I have is dreaded rivet counters pouring all over the thing determined to find faults. (I rode it to Rotorua from Wellington for a rally - about 5 hours and 250 miles each way) in the rain and as I pulled into the rally the first person who talked to me wanted to explain to me that I had the wrong grab rail??? (I LIKE the 69 grab rail - I fitted it because I liked it)

I also paint it how I like it, ride it how I like to ride it .....

Buying a bitsa aint all bad... and its cheaper.
Paul in NZ

Postby Tman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Yes it is, and there's the rub. He doesn't want to be paying top dollar for something which purports to be a top buy, but isn't.
Personally I gave up on "original" years ago because 1) I can't be arsed to find that last little one-year-only doohickey bracket and would rather fit something usable to get the bike on the road,and 2) as you say, some dick will always find fault whatever you do.
Bitzas are better if you like to change seats, bars, tanks, colour etc to suit yourself.....it doesn't cost you money on the resale either.
Tman

Postby 1965T120R » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:50 pm

With my own build it will NOT be for resale anyway so I could care less what some Traditionalist or Poser at a show has to say about her. One thing that I love about building your own from a basket case is you get a one of a kind that nobody else has. If I wanted an all original I know were to find them and I can assure you matching numbers are still out there too. I see them all the time but matching numbers do not mean much except to a strict Traditionalist.

:208
It is not what you ride but that you ride that counts and no matter what you ride or even if you cannot ride we are all brothers and sisters in the wind and in spirit. http://1965t120r650.blogspot.com/
1965T120R

Postby jediwarrier » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

hi, if i got hold of a frame and built bike up from parts found on ebay or whatever, how do i go about getting it registered and would the number plate have a letter showing it as not original like cars have..regards
jediwarrier

PreviousNext

Return to Triumph