Veglia Speedometer Drive Problem

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Postby Meloy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 pm

I purchased a 1979 Triumph Bonneville (T140E) with Veglia instruments early this summer. The speedo didn't work. The cable and speedo were fine so I replaced the speedometer drive. However, the nut on the cable attachment to the speedo drive clips the heads of the bolts for the wheel hub. (I think this is what killed the previous drive.) I've tried washers to move the drive out a little, but that causes other problems. Has anyone had similar trouble? My next idea is to grind down the heads of the wheel hub bolts.

Thanks!
Meloy

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Mate I would not be grinding down bolt head on the wheels at ANY point..

Are the bolts the wrong way around ~ a simply easy fix.if I am on track with you that is ~

Don't take risks on wheels . rims ect ~

If the factory put these together and they worked then you have to over looking something ~ Sorry I am not familiar with these Speedos ~

(I actually pissed my mechanical Speedo off and put an electronic Speedo on my Trident ~ just Luv it !! )
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: Veglia Speedometer Drive Problem

Postby Meloy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:23 pm

You're right. I got to thinking about it, so I ground one side of the speedo cable nut. I only needed 1/16 inch.

I don't know the history of the bike. Could someone have installed the wheel bearing a little off to one side?

Anyway, at least I can tell how fast I'm going. :eek:
Meloy

Re: Veglia Speedometer Drive Problem

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:41 am

Anyway, at least I can tell how fast I'm going

That's a good start and Yes it is very possible to get bearings slightly wider.

The clutch mechanism on my Trident is proof of this as my Pull mechanism has a slightly wider bearing but it is an advantage !
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Return to Triumph