Modified Triumph Cub frame ????

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Modified Triumph Cub frame ????

Postby Dakzila » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Hello,

I need help in trying to gather some information on an old Triumph Cub frame that I pickup a few weeks ago.

I bought the frame for the wheels and forks but discovered, when I went to get the frame, that it had been modified for a different engine.

The frame started out as a Triumph Cub but someone has replaced the swingarm with a slighly longer and wider solid steel custom unit, lengthen the cradle and replaced the single down tube with double down tubes. The rear wheel has a spacer machined to push out the sprocket and the rear shock mounts are spaced out farther than the stock Cub.

The mods were probably done in Southern California, maybe the Ventura or Oxnard area. The workmanship is very good and it hard to tell with a casual glance that it's not a factory frame.

I'm posting some photos in hopes that someone might know who built the frame or at the very least what engine "might" fit in the motor mounts.

Any information, or leads, would be greatly appriciated. I have additional photos I can post or send.

Thanks,

Buzz

Dakzila

Re: Modified Triumph Cub frame ????

Postby Paul in NZ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:28 am

Buggered if I know but since they have retained the horrid steering head goose neck lets hope it was not a heavy or powerful engine. 3TA maybe?
Paul in NZ

Postby Tman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:00 am

Judging by the width of the front and rear engine mounts I wouldn't say it was any of the Triumph twin range. The front engine mount looks particularly wide so that should be a clue. Trying to picture a BSA unit single front mount as that would be an obvious up-grade 250/350/440 etc.
Tman

Postby Dakzila » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Paul and Tman,

Thanks for taking a stab at identifying the possible engine for the frame. 3TA was my first thought too but there's no lower motor mount. I'll take a look at some BSA cases and see if there's a possibility there.

Thanks again,

Buzz 1513B
Dakzila

Postby Paul in NZ » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Well it has to be a unit construction engine? (unless a 'power pack' was made)

Given the rather 'solid' construction used I'd say it wasn't light either... ;-)
Paul in NZ

Postby Dakzila » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I agree Paul, a unit of some sort.

I've just never ran across this unique mounting setup. Of course who knows what other hardware was used to complete the engine installation.

Buzz
Dakzila

Postby Cubber » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:58 pm

I hope I'm not too late with this post, but the frame could have been modified to make a Trials Cub, using a 4" rear tyre and stiffer, modified Cub frame. :123
I have a Trials Cub which has been modified, but mine doesn't have the duplex down tubes.
Mine goes quite well and is used for trail riding in England. :250
Martyn
I'm usually adamantly wrong
Cubber

Postby Cubber » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Here's a picture of my complete Cub for illustration.

Martyn
I'm usually adamantly wrong
Cubber

Postby Tman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Nice bike...! u k fl ag
Tman

Postby Paul in NZ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Damn - that almost makes me want to own another Tiger Cub..... almost.....
Paul in NZ

Return to Triumph