Frame and engine numbers, and locations?

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Frame and engine numbers, and locations?

Postby kabull » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 am

Hi
I am trying to sort out some confusion regarding my father's bike, which at the time he bought it was said to be a 1960 Thunderbird 6T. Checking the engine numbers (6TD10xx) at the internet sources this seems to be correct. If I have understood it correctly, the fram should then be numbere D10xx. In other words it should be matching, but it does not. From what can be found on the frame, it seems to say F1146. This number does not match up to any of the known series for this period of Triumphs as far as I can tell from internet sources. It may in fact not be the frame number either?

When I compare the bike to pictures of the claimed model and year it does not match either, so I guess the frame is from another bike, other than a 1960 6T-bird. The question is what?

This bike does not have the expected bathtub rear fender design, the seat is rather flatand the head light does not have that big cowling-like design. It reminds me more about a mid to late 50's T110?

Can anyone tell if they reconize the frame number I did find?
And also, where on the frame should I look for the fram number in the period from mid 50's to mid 60's?

I will follow up with picture of the bike if that will help.

Cheers
Kjell, Norway
kabull

Re: Frame and engine numbers, and locations?

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Are you sure there is not a T missiing from in front of the F
I have e-mailed you a word Doc, look at the 1948 models with numbering for frame
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby kabull » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Can this be identified with respect to model and year?
Se attached picture.

As mentioned the engine checks out to be 1960 6T, but the frame I am really unsure about??
The engine is fitted with dual carbs, but the 2:1 manifold came along, from a previous original setup perhaps.

I will look furhter into trying to read tthe number/letters of the frame and perhaps remove som paint etc.
Is there a certain place for where the frame number is supposed to be located by the way

Cheers
Kjell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kabull

Postby Tman » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:56 am

That F number is the frame casting. Look on the left hand side of the headstock or front down tube for a stamped-in number. TF was decades before this bike was made.
Tman

Postby kabull » Mon May 07, 2012 5:54 am

Yes to the previous post. You are righ. I fin ally found the correct frame number and it checks out fine. Thanks for your help.

When that is said, I still wonder if anyone of you can reccomend a reliable source of reference pictures to compare this bike with?

For example, from some sources the 1960 6T is shown with a bathtub style rear fender and so on.

I really would like to confirm whether this bike is stock or not.

Additionally I would appreciate tips regarding internet wiring diagram sources (if any). The wiring in the Haynes manual for these bikes does not seem to match the real world.

Thanks
Kjell, Norway
kabull

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm

If thats the bike in the photo (the blue and white one) and it was originally a 6T then its definitely NOT stock. Looks more like a bonnie replica?

Best bet is to purchase a parts manual for that year.

However - if its a 6T then it should indeed have a bathtub and a nacelle plus valanced front guard. The wiring could be 'wrong' because the bikes been converted to magneto ignition?

If you want a bike to ride - leave it like it is, it looks really good and I'm afraid to restore it to 100% original will be a long expensive task resulting in a bugger all different to ride bike and no $$ gain for you.
Paul in NZ

Postby Tman » Tue May 08, 2012 12:19 pm

[example, from some sources the 1960 6T is shown with a bathtub style rear fender and so on.

Thing to remember Kjell is that Meriden made different bikes for different markets, and they also made different bikes for the same markets if the "catalogue pics" parts weren't available at that time.
For example, the US bike buyers didn't like bathtubs or nacelles (and who could blame them?) and were soon dropped for the US market. Your bike could have been destined for a market where the 6T looked just like yours does, and so you would be making it into something it never was. If you really want to make it as Meriden (possibly) intended, then you need to research your bike's history in detail.
Me, I like it just the way it is....
Tman

Postby kabull » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am

@Tman
I do agree with keeping as it is. I was just wondering if this bike could be declaired as original or not. My conserns were raised when compairing to pictures of this supposed model and year to my actual bike. But your explanation of different version for different markets are new to me. I guess I could try to chase down the detailed history based on engine and frame numbers.

And secondly I have had troubles matching work shop wiring diagrams to fit with what I see on this bike. Could this problem also be pointing to "other than home" market bikes. Is there more than one wiring option for this 1960 6T?

Regards
Kjell
kabull

Postby Tman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:38 am

Bound to be, there usually are options for different lighting, battery/no battery etc. though if you're using a Haynes then there's many possible variations.. :1204
Just pick a spec that matches your bike and use that. There all basically the same anyway.
Tman

Next

Return to Triumph