Classic Triumph Mufflers.....

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Classic Triumph Mufflers.....

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:03 pm

The exhaust on a Triumph TR6C is its crowning glory. Without it, its just a Trophy with a funny headlight and we are fortunate enough to have a fair few spare exhaust bits to keep ours looking great.

While I'm not megga fussed about 100% factory as this bike get used a LOT (below is at the Carterton Sprints) and despite matching engine / frame number the engine is definately a 67.... (hmmmm) But I do like it to look period ish....

Now when we got the bike is came with a straight factory set but after the first 40,000 miles the top muffler (of the set) got a bit crusty on the top where the barrell of the silencer body meets the hemisphere at the front of the body. I'm not sure why but they all seem to do that. It can be repaired but its not easy or cheap so to preserve the set I replaced the mufflers with some TOGA ones. They are pretty close to factory and have been on the bike now for 15 years and maybe 80,000 miles so I'd say I got fair value from them.

Now this sets looking a bit thin.... (as you do)

So - I found a NOS top muffer - cheap - so I grabbed it. Its stamped 12 - 69 so I thought wow - thats bang on for a 1970 bike. It was so good I asked if they had another NOS lower one. They do butits different. The first one I was sent has a perforated plate 1/3 of the way in and the others had a sort of twisted cross piece near the end of the outlet with no date stamp. Inspection of what I always thought were the original mufflers shows no date stamp and the same twisted cross thingy inside.

Anyone care to educate me on Triumph mufflers of the period???? These could only have been made for the 69 ~ 70 models so why are they different?

Paul in NZ
Paul in NZ

Re: Classic Triumph Mufflers.....

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am

Paul ~

Like the action shot ~ looks great ~

I am not a Triumph expert and not much value to you ~ Greg aka GNC might be the Dude to help as he is a keen T140 / Twin fan ~

If you look at my Trident build story on site you will see I have T120 mufflers on it rather than the BSA A65 which were correct for a T150T Beauty Kit , But mine is hardly a Beauty kit any way ~ but they sound fantastic and look great ~ coupled with Paul Bryant/ Viking Exhaust NZ, Big bore one piece pipes ~

I bought the mufflers from Commando Specialties in the USA.

Their stuff is very nice quality full stop ~ and a good price too ~

Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Tman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 am

That bastard looks fast even standing still, and I bet you really hate having to turn on the taps going down that road, too...... :206
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 pm

TMan

:158

You're not wrong ~ Bu wait for the best part !!

That little ride is called BALL ROAD ~ and I just luve riding it ~

It starts with a street ride..1/2 km~ a short S bend through the street before dropping into a right hand hook turn ~ Then more suburbia for about 1 km .
Then drop down hill sweeping left to a small bridge ~ onto a weaving street before fanging up a decent gradient, and finally up to an up hill right hand sweeper ~
Fang it ! ~ exiting the right hander then into country side and more small hills~

Hit the third rise and brake / gear down for a T section left turn and into Ball road ~

Fang down hill and into a right hand sharp sweeper~ and then more down hill to beyond & past where this shot is taken ~ drop to the bottom of the hill and an abrupt uphill and immediate left hander ~ around the quarry and then to the end of the road !!

A short but GREAT ride with all the bits and bobs !!

rock rock
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Paul in NZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:46 pm

Stuart SS wrote:Paul ~
I am not a Triumph expert and not much value to you ~ Greg aka GNC might be the Dude to help as he is a keen T140 / Twin fan ~

If you look at my Trident build story on site you will see I have T120 mufflers on it rather than the BSA A65 which were correct for a T150T Beauty Kit , But mine is hardly a Beauty kit any way ~ but they sound fantastic and look great ~ coupled with Paul Bryant/ Viking Exhaust NZ, Big bore one piece pipes ~

I bought the mufflers from Commando Specialties in the USA.

Their stuff is very nice quality full stop ~ and a good price too ~

Well I don't know about being much value to me? Anyone who still swings a leg over a proper kickstart triumph these days is of high value IMHO...

I remember going to Big D Cycles in Dallas a few years back and seeing 3 'beauty kit' tridents lined up in their warehouse. I reckon they looked 100x better than the original raygun ones... (and I'd never actually seen one in the flesh anyway)

The C mufflers are very different to yours as the inlet is off centre - hence I tend to grab them when they turn up ;-) I suspect they were made to factory specs by different people (Burgess and ????) but it just got me curious really....
Paul in NZ

Postby Paul in NZ » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 am

Odder and odder....

Top is a NOS muffler presumably for a TR6C stamped 12 69

Below are the 2 that came off the bike and are definately original Triumph ones.

Not only are the insides different but the length is very different.

The good news is the NOS one is a match for the TOGA one on the bike. I put these on the bike yonks ago and they were labelled as TR6C.

Its very odd....
Paul in NZ

Postby jonnblaze » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 am

Fang down hill and into a right hand sharp sweeper~ and then more down hill to beyond & past where this shot is taken ~ drop to the bottom of the hill and an abrupt uphill and immediate left hander ~ around the quarry and then to the end of the road !! :208
jonnblaze

Return to Triumph