Ok now i'm pissed off.

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Re: Ok now i'm pissed off.

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 am

Pezza

I don't profess to be an expert full stop .. but like so many of us classic bikers I do have quite a few hours "flying time" , I don't believe that plugs will signifigantly improve idle ~

NOW ~ in saying that I have just emerged from carb issues with my Trident and with two complete separate sets of carbs. I finally managed to get a reasonable stage one carb performance ~

( It would falter on stage one / 1/4 and idle was a real pain ~ )

Mine deteriorated to such a point the bike would not even run ~

Long story short ~

As I sent ALL my spare carbs and a complete gantry set to Brisbane to have bloke build me what I call a SUPER set of Amals I had no spares ! As I tracked the problem to #2 carb~

So a mate sent me a complete renovated carb and the bike instantly ran perfectly at ALL ranges!

We still have not worked out what is wrong with that one carb !!

I over hauled it so many times I can't recall ~

Now I can't say whether this is your problem but ~ suffice to say it may be worth the screwing around to get a spare carb and swap them around ! Or even replace what you have ~ Its a tiresome task but it gets like that !!
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby MOUSE » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:28 am

Long shot quick check on Mk2's is the choke rubbers on the brass plungers, make sure not perished, may be cause idle bother.Just turn em over, or replace.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Tman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 am

Good point. That is a common failure point on the "on-off" chokes on more modern carbs..
Tman

Postby Pezza » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:27 am

sorry for not replying guys but i haven't been on here for ages,but as i'm not riding the bike as much now that i have the sprInt and i plan to sell it i really can't be bothered to try and sort it out but thanks for your input anyway.
Pezza

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:29 am

Pezza wrote:just a quick one,but would putting hotter or colder plugs make the bike idle better as i'm havin trouble in this department?

What's the year and model of bike and what plugs are currently in it?
Paul in NZ

Postby Paul in NZ » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:41 am

Paul in NZ wrote:
Pezza wrote:just a quick one,but would putting hotter or colder plugs make the bike idle better as i'm havin trouble in this department?

What's the year and model of bike and what plugs are currently in it?

Whoops - sorry read that it was a trident...

Apart from the very first ones, Concentrics have bush for the pilot jet. Its a PIA and if its blocked a real pain to sort out.

The new amals seem to have an issue with that bush and in my case the bike ran as rich as anything at idle and nothing I could do would sort it out. It drove me freakin nuts. Fitting extended tip plugs one grade hotter (as fitted to later T140's ) helped but eventually going back to the old flogged out carb - the bike runs sport on...

I notice now that amals are producing them with tunable pilot jets... I suspect there is a known problem there.

I put a lot of it down to the newer slow burn fuels not burning hot enough to allow the plusg to self clean at low engine speeds.
Paul in NZ

Postby fido » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 am

Yes, a lot of riders are reporting sooty plugs since they started adding ethanol to fuel.
fido

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:01 am

The real challenge with Spark Plugs to is that although you can get a general insight of Spark plugs performance by simply looking ~

I was assued only this last week~ by Charlie Barnes of Triple Tecs in San Francisco USA, regarding the crap they call petrol these days ~ the real spark plug condition and performance requires a specialty tool which essentially scans/ reveals the inner base of the plug and porcelain !!
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Previous

Return to Triumph