Rattling

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Re: Rattling

Postby MOUSE » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Sorta know how you feel Pezza after owning a 79 T140 for 22 years. When they are running great they are a sweet bike but to go on a long trip there is always in the back of the mind ...what next. What is going to fall off/ self destruct and leave me stranded roadside, usually something minor like dud zenor, coil, exhaust loosening, perished oil line/ seal, etc . I made a ramp so i can run it into the back of my van after dropping the handlebars, it's been in there a few times.
The bike you suggest should be fine, just don't go to sleep on it monkey

But I love my T140, and would never sell it. Iv'e perservered with it, modified a lot of bits, replaced nearly everything, and done many pleasurable miles on it. It has been more on the fun side than the down side for me, sadly yes, i would buy another one (an 81, or 82 ) :209 if they were available new. I never use mine for around town but Perth area is much larger than here, so distances allowing bike to warm up properly likely better. I use the Tiger cub for around town ....just follow the oil trail if you want to find me.

I have been tempted to get a modern bike to do rallies and be confident to get there and back, poverty from the T140 and the tiger cub only stops me, maybe next year monkey

Bikes iv'e looked at and considerd ballpark for what i want to do are naked style, upright sitting, around 1000cc cruisers.

Moto Guzzie V7
Triumph Scrambler
Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Yamaha XJ
Triumph Bonneville/ Thruxton

Enough is enough, well hmmmm, the T140 has a few positives to any of these bikes. If you want any extras like centre stand :209 luggage racks, upgrade exhausts, tyres, etc etc are bloody expensive to do compared to prices for T140 parts which are more available now than ever was. Like any vehicle they all have some fault built into their chemistry but not like in the good ol days depending if they were made on a Monday or a Friday. most are now robot made, and i guess they are going to be reasonable consistant. So perfomance is going to be reliant on running in owner maintainence and riding treatment.
Also the new bikes are mostly computered and have fuel injected carbs ...fark i'm just getting used to tuning my Amal concentric. :)
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Pezza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:16 am

G'day Mouse, mate i tell ya, if i had enough cash then i would not be in this position,I would simply buy a modern bike and keep this old girl, I've waited 3 years to get it done and then when you finally have it, it is not what i expected, had this been pommie land or maybe even Europe then it would be a no brainer.....she'd stay simple. The bloke that came to look yesterday just rang telling me he was not going ahead with buying my bike because looking at my bike made him realize that what he really wanted to do was do up another bike....he just sold his BSA Thunderbolt and realized that that was a big mistake. Part of me is happy that he's lost interest because i absolutely love the bike, but the more realistic part is disappointed because, come the hot weather and it starts all over again. Mate i know what you mean about braking down, these thoughts are with me every day going up and down to work.I to have made a ramp but owning a Ford Ranger Ute there is just enough room on there if i keep the tail gate down. Luckily she has only been on the twice once to go to the bike shop and the other day when the belt shat it shelf.Every morning when it's cooler and the bike is running sweet, then i think NOPE i'll keep her but come arvo and it heats up,then it's NOPE she's gotta go, and this goes on every day of the week. I have been looking a a few bike on bike sales over here and one of em is a 2006 T100 with after market pipes for $ 11thou but part of me thinks i can get a brand new bike for the same price,the only thing i don't like on this bike is the lack of a tacho but they can fit one so thats not a problem.
Pezza

Postby Pezza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:18 am

Stuart SS wrote:The point being How long do you pursue the Snake ?

When is enough ~ enough ?

Maybe you recall the bloke from Texas on the Classic Bike.net site , when he had the T150 and he had similar problem with running and idle~ No amount of Triple input seemed to help him..

He gave up ~

Now in hindsight I confident I now know what his issues were !! But then there is no going back really !

Stu what were those issues? I would like to know if you have any ideas. Cheers Pez
Pezza

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:59 am

Pez

If i recall another mate who also sold on his T140 wrote a very lengthy feature on T140 and the relative carb issues, which i copied across to this web site ~ Did you saved those to a file on your pooter ? If not you could have a look back into the archives as it were ! Perhaps do a search for Amals and carbs ??

As for the T150 issues ~ One train of thought I had, is the triples have a gantry which the carbs are mounted on ~

The carb spigots ~ mounts ~ are steel pressed into an alloy housing ~ and over time these often work loose ~ and thus they can suck air, in particular, those up to the T150V 1974 ~ as most these had a balance tube which inter-connected the three venturi tubes. This will cause problems with idling ~ and in the worst case scenario , lean out the mixture and even hole a piston ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Pezza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 am

Stu umm, not sure mate if i did, but i will have a look, I've just checked if my slides are opening evenly and they are so the process of elimination begins, I remember having a bit of trouble with the nuts which hold the carbs to the head and just checked that as well and the are now tight, i will now have a look at the hoses as well, i no it definitely needs to be synced but i cant get that done till Wednesday. I had a go at it myself but fook a duck it's not easy. may be this is the reason why it's not running right at lights.
Pezza

Postby Pezza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:34 am

Shit i can't find it Stu but i found something else the screws on the top of the right side carb were a bit loose maybe this would contribute to the prob.
Pezza

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:47 am

I had a go at it myself but fook a duck it's not easy. may be this is the reason why it's not running right at lights.

:158

Try owning a Triple ~

The tops and all holes in the tops have to be leak proof ~ I found that if you don't have a choke on them, put a smear of silastic in the hole and fit a tyre valve cap over them ~ guaranteed sealed ~

I even put a smear around the top to ensure the top chamber is sealed ~

Best way to sync them is too put a small drill bit in the entry side of the carb, a neat fit that is ~ and then you can sync them by watching the bits drop very slightly when you open the throttle ~ When they both move together then you have then in sync ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Pezza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:17 am

I had a T160 many years ago, bloody nice bike too!!! Iv'e done the drill bit thingy and they are synced and i just came back from a short blast up da road and it seemed to idle better than B4 but i can't tell until it's at operating temp.I'll give the sil stuff a go as well Thanks Stu and Mouse for your thoughts.Pezza
Pezza

Postby MOUSE » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 am

New T100's are doing some incredible k's untouched other than replacing tyres and brake pads, should be a good reliable bike. Stock ones can be stage tuned to get plenty of extra horses out of the donk without stressing them so they must be well made to take that.
Some good articles in Real Classic magazine back issues if you were to persue.
Host of after market bolt on goodies available for these so you can personalise/custom fit as you wish.
Most seem to fit new exhausts so they sound like a real ( Meriden ) Bonny :) instead of a sewing machine.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Pezza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:16 am

sounds good to me mouse, sounds like a reliable bike to ride daily, although i have never heard one up close on you tube the exhaust note seems to vary allot. any way i have made up my mind about selling this one and getting something very similar only without the xtra worry.
Pezza

PreviousNext

Return to Triumph