Rattling

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Rattling

Postby Pezza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:14 am

hi all got this strange rattling noise coming from my primary side,it has a belt drive so it's not a slack prim chain, any ideas as to what it may be? what is in there that could cause this noise? could it be my alternator as the battery doesn't seem to be fully charged,had the bat load tested and that was fine,so before i go rip the cover of i need a bit of an idea as to what it may be.Bike runs fine, only need to balance the carbs.
Pezza

Re: Rattling

Postby Pezza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:36 am

oh yeah can someone also tell me how to balance the carbs as well plz? thanks
Pezza

Postby L.A.B. » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 am

Pezza wrote:hi all got this strange rattling noise coming from my primary side,it has a belt drive so it's not a slack prim chain, any ideas as to what it may be?

Why not remove the primary cover and have a look?

Remove the alternator stator and check if the alternator rotor will move on its centre? If you detect any movement at all, then it should be replaced with the later "welded" type rotor.
The number on the rotor should also indicate if it's a welded rotor, or an earlier "self-destruct" type rotor.

Pezza wrote:can someone also tell me how to balance the carbs

Personally, I use a Morgan Carbtune http://www.carbtune.com/
(remove the inlet balance pipe and connect the Carbtune to each pipe stub).

You could use the "rods under the carb slides" method to synchronise the slides? http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html

The "pulling plug caps off-while the engine is running" method I would not recommend-especially if electronic ignition is fitted as it can damage the electronic ignition, and can also damage the coils.
L.A.B.

Postby Pezza » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:11 am

L.A.B. wrote:Why not remove the primary cover and have a look?

well thats what the plan is, but I was just wondering what to expect!
Thanks for the link on carb tuning.
Pezza

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:49 am

Pezza

If the stator or the rotor have worked loose , it would seem to be the most obvious... and not a good scenario if you allow it to continue..
Good luck and let us know how you go, mate !
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby MOUSE » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:52 am

and not a good scenario if you allow it to continue..

Correct, cause of my last rebuild, cracked end of crank from loose rotor worry.

Pull the cover , have a look.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Pezza » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:11 am

OK sorry about the late update but i think that the shit has hit the fan, bike fucked up on the way home today,I took the primary case of about 2 weeks ago to have a look and could only find a load of very fine metal like pins, say like that of a steel brush clinging on the the stator, I rang the bike shop and he explained the it came from the belt drive, apparently it is caused by the belt rubbing on the crank case as he said that some were not completely flat or straight, he had a remedy which was a washer or something like that to stop the belt from rubbing. Any way the engine started to crunch a bit then allot and then it stopped. By this i mean i had no forward motion. If i push the kick starter there is no resistance at all, i can put it in gear and push the bike forward. Has this got to do with my clutch or have i buggered a shaft or something like that. Friday i will be taking it off and looking at it.
Pezza

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:52 am

Pezza

If you have stripped or broken the belt drive ~ AKA metal pin residue ~ I suggest that that there will be NO reistence and you are infact merely turnign over the gearbox and clutch assembly ~ or ~ the clutch has gone toes up which again will disconnect your 'kick momentum' any further than the clutch or primary drive ~

How does the clutch lever action feel ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Pezza » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:07 am

Stu the clutch fells OK, but i can put it in gear and push the bike forwards and there is no resistance.also if i jump on the kicker there is a little resistance but none the less it goes down without moving the pistons!
Pezza

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:16 am

Yep.. My money is on the wrecked primary drive belt being shagged ~

Not so bad ~ if a little expensive ~ A quick fix.. we hope ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Triumph