front brake

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

front brake

Postby Pezza » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:24 am

hey guys and girl, my front brake feels a little shaky when applied, now it has not been used much as i do alot of braking with the back, could this be that the pads are not run in or is there another reason?
Pezza

Re: front brake

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:14 am

Pezza wrote:hey guys and girl, my front brake feels a little shaky when applied,

could this be that the pads are not run in or is there another reason?

Could be? Or the disc could be warped or unevenly worn (check the disc surfaces for runout)? Sometimes the chrome plating wears off the Triumph discs in patches so that may lead to uneven braking as the pads pass over the the disc surface? It could also be a symptom of worn wheel bearings?

Pezza wrote:now it has not been used much as i do alot of braking with the back,

I suggest you cure yourself of that habit as soon as possible, because that's not the way to use your brakes!

http://www.motorcyclesafetyinfo.com/mot ... aking.html
http://www.motorcycletrainingkent.com/Riding.htm
L.A.B.

Postby Pezza » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:40 am

Ha ha ha i know that! but thats just how i ride, and have been doing so for many years, i must add that my hand is always perched on the brake leaver and believe me it does get used when i need to brake in a hurry like when some prick pulls out in front of me, which happens abput 3-4 times a day......i ride my bike every day.so ok i guesse i do use my front brake after all :501 oh and the bearings are just a year old, coukd it have something to do with low level fork oil?
Pezza

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 am

Pezza wrote:coukd it have something to do with low level fork oil?

Difficult to say, but it's something you could check?

Unfortunately your descripton of the brake being "a little shaky" doesn't convey any detailed information about what is actually happening, so maybe you could give us a slightly better descripton?
L.A.B.

Postby GNC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:15 am

I have chrome on 50% of my disk (needs skimming). The effect I get when pulling up on front brake is 1 of front end bouncing.

You ride everyday?? WA must be a wonderfull place :501 nz-flag111
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Postby Pezza » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:48 am

yeah man it sure is a nice place :209 although i must add that it rains here too and man when it does it f#$kin pours :208 yeah sounds pretty much the same as GNC said only i've noticed that when i'm doing about 110/120 k's it does not shate or tremble only at low speeds it shakes pretty bad :41
Pezza

Postby Pezza » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:34 am

OK i thought i'd post an update on the brake thingy, as it turned out it was a loose steering head nut! so all is good.
Pezza

Return to Triumph