Tachometer driven gear

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Tachometer driven gear

Postby Pezza » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:23 am

The gear is sticking out at the bottom and the tacho is not working is this fooked? and how to i go about fixing it?
Pezza

Re: Tachometer driven gear

Postby Graham B » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Pezza

a photo would really help ... I'm guessing the bottom plate of a Triumph tacho drive gearbox has fallen out and the drive gear that the cable sits in is poking out the bottom?
Graham B

Postby Pezza » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:35 am

ummmmmmmmmmmmm yeah i think so i'll try and put a photo of it up as soon as i can
Pezza

Postby Pezza » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:26 am

i hope this is ok????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pezza

Postby Graham B » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:03 am

When I got my Daytona I found that it had a rubber bung in the bottom of the tach drive.

This is not the standard part so I bought what is the original plate to go in the bottom - a circular plate that the casing is peened over to hold it in. I thought "there's no way this will be oiltight" so I followed the previous owner's idea and got a new rubber bung. It was (I think) for putting on the end of a walking stick bought from a local hardware shop.

It's a tight fit in the base of the drive unit and cut to length so it doesn't protrude so far as to force the driven gear against the top. The drive unit is tightened up in a position so that the rubber bung sits on the crankcase and won't fall out. Still working fine and not leaking after 30,000 miles :68
Graham B

Postby GNC » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:39 am

Graham B wrote:When I got my Daytona I found that it had a rubber bung in the bottom of the tach drive.

This is not the standard part so I bought what is the original plate to go in the bottom - a circular plate that the casing is peened over to hold it in. I thought "there's no way this will be oiltight" so I followed the previous owner's idea and got a new rubber bung. It was (I think) for putting on the end of a walking stick bought from a local hardware shop.

It's a tight fit in the base of the drive unit and cut to length so it doesn't protrude so far as to force the driven gear against the top. The drive unit is tightened up in a position so that the rubber bung sits on the crankcase and won't fall out. Still working fine and not leaking after 30,000 miles :68

Appletons with Stone ginger wine here tonight cos it's cold.........means i gonna need pic to understand the above :70
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Postby Pezza » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:49 am

ahhhhhh ok i thought that there should be something in there to stop it from falling down, when pushed up the thacho works ok i will have a look for something to stuff up there thanks for the info :139
Pezza

Postby Tman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 am

Basically, it's naused. Unless you can find something to fit tightly in there, (as has been said, the original was peened over to hold it in place) then probably your best bet is Fleabay. Maybe buy a duff one cheap with stripped gears you could cannibalise?
Tman

Postby Graham B » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry guys. Have tried uploading a pic but I get a msg back saying "the board attachment quota has been reached"
Graham B

Postby L.A.B. » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Find or cut a sheet steel disc to fit, and then fix it in position with epoxy resin or JB weld-after fully degreasing the housing (remember if you remove the housing, the sleeve nut is LEFT-hand thread) and then coat the undersde of the joint with more epoxy or JB weld.

When hardened, refill the housing with grease and the drive box will probably last for years.
L.A.B.

Next

Return to Triumph