cracked mufflers

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

cracked mufflers

Postby Pezza » Sat May 22, 2010 3:21 am

My mufflers have cracked on the same spots twice now, on the join going into the muffler and on the lugs for the foot rest bracket. The first pair were replaced by the bike shop but now he says that he has sold alot of these mufflers to other customers with no troubles at all, he is saying that it's caused by vibration and there is nothing he can do other than to repair them which is not going to look good. have any of you had simular probs with mufflers? i recon there just of a very poor qaulity :501
Pezza

Re: cracked mufflers

Postby Welsh Wizard » Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 am

unit or pre unit trumpy?
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Pezza » Sat May 22, 2010 4:20 am

Welsh Wizard wrote:unit or pre unit trumpy?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm :63 unit i think it's a 78 any way
Pezza

Postby MOUSE » Sat May 22, 2010 7:06 am

Iv'e had no probs with mufflers at all (now got Norton peashooters fitted) apart from a loosing a footrest which retains them.

But headers :166 Was forever replacing front header mounts that were cracking and my guess they were a loose fit in head causing this. I made some myself out of some scrap twice the thickness and twice the width of stock, haven't bust another since. I fitted with my tiger head a T140 shop kit that pulls the header (push in) into the head with copper olives. You have to drill and tap the head to fit this, but it has worked so far for me. No leaks, no loose headers that can lead to loose mufflers. Just a thought there Pezza check they are tight.
Tighten from head first working through to mufflers, a cross pipe help retain the headers in the head, the header pipes i had made straight through but retained an undrilled cross pipe.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Stuart SS » Sat May 22, 2010 7:43 am

Pezza

I am interested to know what style of muffler ? I am fitting T120 style mufflers and would be horrified to experience the same/ similar thing ~

Yes ~ there is some real crap out there ~ I bought a header set from the Triumph dealers in Perth years ago for my T160 ~ and in short the entire system was absolute CRAP !!

But the mufflers for my latest Trident are from Commando Specialties in the USA. The quality is superb ~

http://www.commandospecialties.com/
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby MOUSE » Sat May 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Great link Stu, shame about U.S postal rates.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Stuart SS » Sat May 22, 2010 11:46 pm

As the Chineee say, Mouse :

" Some day You lose at Tun'style ~ bart you winn on Merrli-goe-round !!"''

:)
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Pezza » Sun May 23, 2010 4:29 am

oh well i think that it's most likely crap what i have been given.
had to get them welded yesterday, but it's probily a short term fix. I had checked to see if all the clamps and so on were tight and they were! The weld qaulity is up to shit :501 Still waiting on my freeking tank as well, almost a year now, iv'e just had it and i gave him a piece of my mind!!!! but that doesn't help, h can't do anything about it he says and so on and so on BLA BLA BLA :501
Pezza

Postby Stuart SS » Sun May 23, 2010 5:01 am

Pezza.. Sad story indeed.

Maybe you have to do like me and get a second tank and work on it myself ~ Just finished the base coat.. and now waitign to light sand and start on clear coats.. looks great .. (Hyundai Garnet Red Mica, and white scallops - Stark white ..) ~ tedious but very satisfying ~

T150 V tank, seamless ~ $200 from Eflay ~ paint $113 for the Red mica and the top coat two pak ~ plus misc and 100 hours labour .. :158
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Return to Triumph