That's a Point..

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Re: That's a Point..

Postby Tman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:57 pm

There shouldn't be any problem holding a thin timing stick vertically within the angled plug hole.

Tried it on my nine-stud top end, and it's not quite possible to get the stick vertical.

Extremely lucky to find that before '68 I would have thought,- unless the crankshaft has been replaced?
Yep, and due to the mix 'n'match nature of Triumph twins, that's what I was implying.
Tman

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 am

Used a 1mm ish stainless TIG rod.. got it in straight enough for today's experiment. The crank has only the TDC hole, but i'm hoping to one day strip it down for a tune up and balance. There are a few things that need sorting out engine wise, but she should see me well through the summer. :250
Bill
Site Admin

Postby L.A.B. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:49 am

Tman wrote:
There shouldn't be any problem holding a thin timing stick vertically within the angled plug hole.

Tried it on my nine-stud top end, and it's not quite possible to get the stick vertical.

A 2mm diameter piece of stiff wire works on my T140V:

And a 3.57mm diameter wheel spoke doesn't sit far enough off the vertical that it would be likely to introduce any measurable error:

L.A.B.

Previous

Return to Triumph