That's a Point..

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

That's a Point..

Postby Bill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:39 pm

The points have near enough had it on the 6T, which isn't really a problem as i'd usually just replace them. But after doing soooo many of the things while doing servicing, it's got to the stage where i don't want to replace them. I'm always singing the praises of the contact points system (works brilliantly), but there has to be a 'point' when it's time to try something new. I've been looking at the Tri-Spark twin kits as they're supposed to be the "dog's danglies" as one mate put it.

Any thoughts? u k fl ag
Bill
Site Admin

Re: That's a Point..

Postby L.A.B. » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Bill wrote:I've been looking at the Tri-Spark twin kits as they're supposed to be the "dog's danglies" as one mate put it.

If you fitted the Tri-Spark (Classic Twin) system, then I very much doubt you'd be disap-point-ed?

(All three British bikes I own have Tri-Sparks!)
L.A.B.

Postby Tman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:11 pm

To me, it depends how many miles you intend doing on it, ie, how reliable do you need it to be?
I have bikes with EI,(I also have a Boyer waiting to go on the next project) points, and mags (both Lucas and Japanese self-exciting systems). I wouldn't change a good working points set-up for EI just for the sake of it unless I was doing lots of miles.
Something nice and tactile about points especially if they're on a Sunday rider, but then I can do without that tactility at 2AM in the pissin' rain...
Tri-Spark's supposed to be good though.
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 am

I am with LAB on the Tri-Spark ..

Most know I am some what bias ~ The perfect demo in my U Tube clip on the kick start of the Trident ~ 1/4 of lever swing and so easy to fire.. still awes me after owing so many Brit bikes ~

In fact I am seriously considering leaving the starter motor off my Trident.. some prefer to simply remove the kick start ...
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:40 pm

After some thinking over the option between points and CDI, I've decided to turn to the dark side and go CDI. I do intend to do lots of miles on the 6T this year, baring any other major break downs.. :250

After looking around at prices, gauging opinion and speaking to people i know who are running a Tri-Spark (twin), Boyer (Twin) and a RITA (twin).. There really is only one. The Tri-Spark. The more expensive of the the 3 i've looked at, but is the best in performance, ease of fitting (no amp box) and least intrusive if i get caught short and have to revert back to points.

The saving starts now! £1 down.. £196 to go! :205
Bill
Site Admin

Postby dig » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Corr wiv summer commin on yar skin is sure goin ta crack with out the pints worm :) :151 :203
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Bill » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Might be next summer I get the miles in.. u k fl ag :20
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Bill » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Sorted another points plate out.. so will be putting the EI off for a while.. :153

One question though. The timing should be set at 38deg BTDC.. Getting TDC isnt a problem as i've got the bung in the back of the cases for the locking pin.. With the piston at TDC (on compression stroke) how far down from TDC does the piston need to be to get 38deg before? I've not got the timing aperture in the primary case and cant find me timing wheel.. Don't really want to crack the primary open either.

Understand that?? lol.. :154 :153 u k fl ag
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Graham B » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:43 am

Does it have points in the timing chest? Or is it a distributor model?
Graham B

Postby dig » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 am

Graham B , in Bills post
Sorted another points plate out.. so will be putting the EI off for a while..
!!!!! :501 :) :203
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Next

Return to Triumph