Cams

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Cams

Postby Flewbags » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 am

Hi,
I've a T120 Preunit motor in a Triton. I'm rebuilding it with a Morgo Barrel, Flowed 10 stud head and twin 32mm Mikunis, all sourced from a racing outfit that was split up. the cams that came with that job lot are some Thruxton profiles which I was happily going to put in until someone told me that unless racing I would get a lot of 'fuel wash' in the bores which would wash away the oil and cause premature wear.
Is this just old man's bs or is there something in it? If so any views on cam choice - I want to hop it up from the standard 3134's u k fl ag
Flewbags

Re: Cams

Postby Tman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am

Couldn't say if it's BS or not, but IMO 3134s with Amal 930s makes for a fast enough but pleasant-mannered road bike.
It's always a trade-off between performance, reliability and ride-ability, and, as the cam-grinders like to say, there's not much advantage in going for the lumpiest cams in a road bike.
Why not try it with the 3134s and see if you like it? It's not hard to change them at a later date, although for most road-work I'd say those 32mm jobbies are probably over-carbing it too. u k fl ag
Tman

Postby MOUSE » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:18 am

I'm using Megacycle 51000's, they give noticably more torque over stock, pay off is top end power but never use that much anyway and have fitted single carb losing another 2-3 hp apparently, never noticed any difference. Excellent for everyday touring on a 5 speed.
Bike cruises nicely at 70mph with ton of power to pass a truck trailer up to 90. Not sure how they would go with 650 as they were not as mildly tuned as 750 are, probally stock ones on 650 are actually o.k?

Been a while since i rode a 650 (had single carb Trophy and Saint) but sorta remember they were a little wilder to ride.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Flewbags » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks guys,
I guess I'll try a combination and see how it goes. I was hoping not to have to take it apart again so I'll try to get it right first time. I wanted to have a look at some Megacycle ones but couldn't find a reasonable supplier in the UK.
Cheers and I'll post a pic when I finally get it running.
Flewbags

Postby Tritonrat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:22 am

Whilst on cams ....has anybody use needle roller bearings instaed of bushes for cam bearings :?
Tritonrat

Return to Triumph