Amal Carb

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Re: Amal Carb

Postby MOUSE » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:55 am

Like this ...
http://silverbackbikes.net/images/pas-b ... riumph.jpg

Myself like the old school cocktail shakers from U.S.

"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby NotTriumphtwin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:59 am

I wish the primary side pipe was a mirror image of the timing side, I don't think i could do silencers without changing exhaust all together. Actually a two into one system had crossed my mind but money makes it less important to me.
Mouse, I could take that whole bike, I have that pic saved somewhere myself. Those are the kind of forks I would love to put on my bike. That is a great bike. I rather like the idea of cocktail shakers, but would have to buy all new exhaust, maybe later on my wish list.
NotTriumphtwin

Postby GNC » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:46 am

NotTriumphtwin wrote:I wish the primary side pipe was a mirror image of the timing side.

:69 Always seems like the builder was trying to get the Hardly Ferguson look when pipes done in this fashion.......... also probally makes the primary side look a bit lean when no pipe running down that side.

I got MK2 twin carbs on my bike found the main jets were 280. I started a thread here
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=383
I gained alot from the advice given.......maybe some info or links that could help you? :151
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Postby NotTriumphtwin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:59 pm

:69 Always seems like the builder was trying to get the Hardly Ferguson look when pipes done in this fashion.......... also probally makes the primary side look a bit lean when no pipe running down that side.

Yes, doesn't help when it's got a sportster front end and peanut tank either, I think maybe someone had a Hardly that hardly ran and a Trump with front end damage and my bike was born. My best guess anyway.
I have the same plan, get back to stock settings for carb and go from there. I can't figure out why it has less restrictive exhaust but was leaned out, seems to reason if you can get more out you can feed more in.
I liked the link on your thread about carb set up, the cut away pics were good, I didn't know about the pressed in pilot jet, I knew about the passage way but not that there was a jet in there. I also liked the jetting chart towards the end of the article. Handy info. Thanks again to all, now if I can just get rid of the snow and cold I'll get to work on practicing some of these theories.
NotTriumphtwin

Postby NotTriumphtwin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 pm

I believe I have figured something out. :148 I think the carb on my bike came off a two carb bike. I still have the wrong slide(#3 instead of #3 1/2) but have changed jets to 240 main and 106 needle. I think after closer inspection that a whole new carb is in order, either that or a sleeve. The body and slide are wore out. That being said, just changing the jets was the difference between night and day. Now it's a MONSTER MADMAN!! :grin: ;45 :grin: ;45 :208 I've still got tuning to do, but huge improvement, and way better throttle response. Took it out for a quick trip around the neighborhood and she wants to go! Thanks again everyone for the help.
NotTriumphtwin

Postby Graham B » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:02 am

That's really good news the richer jetting has done the trick. Triumph twins are addictive - enjoy :250
Graham B

Postby MOUSE » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:28 am

Front end looks o.k just needs a guard.

92 % of Harleys are still on the road,the other 2% made it home. monkey
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby NotTriumphtwin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:53 pm

That's really good news the richer jetting has done the trick. Triumph twins are addictive - enjoy :250

Yes, I'm very happy, now just need to get the slide right and some baffles. I also need to set the timing with a light. I have done this on cars, but never a bike, and never with points. I really need to get a tach also. I have no idea where to set the idle, because I'm setting it buy ear. I just set it as low as it can go without stalling and go up from there just a small bit.

First start up after jet change was fairly easy, usually when started this cold it would stall a couple of times and need to be restarted to stay running on it's own. Now when it starts it stays running first time even when motor was frost covered cold, and you can give it gas right away(I don't until it's warmed up). Before you didn't touch the throttle or ride off anywhere until the bike was warmed up good, like ten minutes. If you did it would crack and pop until warm. Now it's ready to go two or three minutes after starting with none of those symptoms.

Front end looks o.k just needs a guard.

:137 Umm... yeah, I had one of those and while I was sleeping one night someone broke in and ruined it trying to make it into a back fender, and they didn't do a very good job either. So when I was finished, I mean when THEY were finished with it it was scrap. :1204 I'm not sure if I'm going to use a front fender or not, but if I don't I still want to make a brace to bolt to the fender mounts to stiffen up the forks, maybe reduce chance of twisting or flexing out of shape. BTW Mouse I was talking about the black and blue bike at the link you posted about the cocktail shakers. Those are the forks I really want, the springers.
NotTriumphtwin

Previous

Return to Triumph