Steering Head Bearings Help

Like many of the Coventry makes, Triumph had their roots in the bicycle industry, beginning motorcycle production in 1902.

Steering Head Bearings Help

Postby Britwin650 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:41 am

I got this '71 650 Tiger in boxes. I am rebuilding it and assymbly starts now. Looking at a parts book and manuals helps, but I never saw this together so I have a question. I replaced the steering head bearings and assymbled the lower and upper yokes (triple trees if you like) in the steering head. I made sure and replaced the metal "dust covers" prior to seating the bearing races, and made sure all parts were used according to the parts book.

OK, when I tighten the steering stem nut to proper tension, there is still a 1/8" gap between the bottom of the nut and the surface of the top yoke. It doesn't seat flush and that looks strange (remember, I never saw it assymbled). Once I tighten the pinch bolt on the top yoke that should anchor the steering stem nut and fix the tension, and if that is how it is done, then OK. Let me know how the Brits do this!

Thanks
Britwin650

Re: Steering Head Bearings Help

Postby Tman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:01 pm

I don't know "how the Brits" would do it differently to anyone else, but I'm guessing you've got a component missing...maybe a washer or something? Other than that,maybe the top nut is wrong for the year?
Tman

Re: Steering Head Bearings Help

Postby Graham B » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Brittwin,

I think it's all ok from your description but a photo would help.

If the top yoke is resting on the upper head bearing cone/dustcap (the way I prefer it) then it's normal to see a slight gap between the upper surface of the top yoke and the lower edge of the flange of the adjuster nut.

Hope that helps, Graham
Graham B

Return to Triumph