bsa c15 fork seals

Britain's largest and most successful motorcycle manufacturer was BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company).

bsa c15 fork seals

Postby buzz9 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:00 pm

HELLO AND MERRY XMAS EVERY ONE .
HELP :166

I have a bsa c15 project .
the bike came in bits and now is the time to re -assemble .
The fork seals were missing when i aquired the bike and so i cannot compare the refit to see if corrrect , and the hand manuel seems to give no information on fitting of the 2 seals to the seal holder..
i would appreciate if any members with more knowledge of this could advise me .
i need to know if both the flanges of the seals face upwards or down , i do not want to wrongly fit , they are a very tight fit and would have to destroy them to remove .

advise very much appreciated
buzz9

Re: bsa c15 fork seals

Postby pugeyed » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:49 pm

they can be a bugger to fit, your right what your saying if you fit them wrong you will have to destroy to get them out, the flat side of them faces upwards ie into the seal holder, so both the lips of the seal should point down the fork, it helps to warm them up before fitting as although they swell it makes them harder to fit into the oil seal holder but they fit over the stantions better.
will have to do this when i rebuild my c10 tele forks, these are excatly the same.
hope this helps.
cheers mark.
pugeyed

Postby buzz9 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:13 pm

THANKS MARK
i much appreciate this information
one of the seals seems to fit better than the other .
The seal that goes over the threaded end of the holder seems a extremley tight fit, i think this will be a real pain to fit with out damageing ?
buzz9

Postby pugeyed » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:20 pm

what you might have to do like i did was cut off the excess plastic around the outside of the seal, back to bare metal, they dont move once they are screwed on anyway.mark.
have you got any pics of the project? ive just finished rebuilding a 1961 b40 so if you need any help give me a shout.
cheers
pugeyed

Postby buzz9 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:44 pm

THANKS MARK
The seals have a thin metal outer edge not plastic so really you cannot remove material from the outer edge .
The metal outer rings are flaired which make them even worse to get started to fit and increase the risk of damageing them when fitting to the holders ..
i have no pictures yet as although most of the chromeing and powder coating is done i have just started assembleing, not a good start iam falling at the first fence ,but if you send me your email address soon as i have made progress i will forward them you
the next problem i will have is the gearbox , almost certain the boxes which the gearbox components came in contain parts from different year and models of c 15" s ..
buzz9

Postby taffdog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi , having the same problem ..have you solved it yet if so how :201
taffdog

Postby farmboy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Evening all,
Just taken apart my C15 forks. I Can see the seals are going to be a pane to replace but i wondered if the seals (presume they are dust seals) on the top of the holder as indicated in the photo can be replaced?
Any help appreciated, thanks
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m116 ... G_4860.jpg
farmboy

Postby Welsh Wizard » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 am

I seem to remember the seal tool is part number 61-3006 My memory may be playing tricks when I get chance will check to see if I still have the manual.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Curley » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 am

How did you get on with the replacement seals? I am currently doing a complete restoration of my C15 and will definitely have the same issue with the fork seals.
So any advise on how you got around it would be awesome.
Curley

Return to BSA