BSA b32 competition trails bike ?

Britain's largest and most successful motorcycle manufacturer was BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company).

BSA b32 competition trails bike ?

Postby rob Jones » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi could anyone help I'm looking at buying a b32 competition,& was needing help identifying it,it's 1946 trails,I haven't seen it yet well in person,the engine no is xb32 and the frame no is zb31com5 this doesn't make sense it should be xb31 then some digits not com5 or does this mean competition, is it special frame or a works bike pleas some help !
rob Jones

Re: BSA b32 competition trails bike ?

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:55 am

If its of any help

XB32 for engines started in 1946 XB32-101 the XB changed to YB32-101 in 1948
as for the frame
ZB31-101 if its a rigid frame started in 1949 if a spring frame it would be
ZB31S-101 and started in 1950

So it sounds like the engine may have been replaced at some time in its history, not uncommon back in the 60's to blow and engine up and rather than rebuild just get another from a scrappy or Pride and Clark in london who often had just motors for sale for a few pounds.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby rob Jones » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:29 pm

H thanks for the reply,yes i looked at the bsa numbers reference guide and xb32 is 1946 and zb31 was 1949 so looks like its had a older engine put in,its an irish bike,has been since new,i have not seen the bike yet,but the owner says he has given me these numbers from the origanal log book,still dont get this zb31com5 bit though,he reckons its a competition model and it was 5th off the production line,but he says he is no expert and im not either ! looks a real nice tele rigid bike though blue/chrome tank,any more help would be fantastic
rob Jones

Postby Welsh Wizard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 am

The line at BSA could some time get an engine and year of frame out, but not normally more than 1 year ( IE 1946 engine in a 1947 frame. But I don't remember them ever being out by more, that does not mean it could not happen, if it was EX military then it could easily have had and engine change, because most military service people would just swap the engine and gearbox in one unit when doing a service, then service the engine at leisure, while having a fast turn around time on the service of the whole bike. then when on sold to the general public it would have its first registration document which would show the difference in years between the frame and engine.
The only sure way to find out is to contact the BSA owners club and ask for full details from the frame number, But they do charge for the info, if you are a BSA owners Club member I believe its a lot cheaper.( they should still have the delivery books from Smallheath unless the VMCC has some how poached them as they have with some other makes.)
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Return to BSA