TS 50 ER 21

TS 50 ER 21

Postby jossef » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 pm

I recently bought a 1981 TS 50 ER 21( not really classic ? ) for restoration, as I'm new to classic bikes I thought I'd start small.
The bike is a french model ( TS5XAP ) and is an automatic. I was wondering if anyone has had dealings with these as I cant seem to find much, if any infomation on them.
I recently bought a new kick start lever ( for a TS50 ER ) but it dosn't seem to fit. it dosn't go on far enough without fouling the rear brake linkage assembly.
With mine being a french/european model, and automatic, would it be so different to other models?
Also it has a rear foot brake lever but has two hand levers one being front brake, but what would the left lever be for?
Sorry for so many Questions.
jossef

Re: TS 50 ER 21

Postby scubabiker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm

would love to see a pic of this bike!!! i have a spare kick starter that was on a ts50 with a gt125 engine, i know its not a gt kick start so it might fit your ts50? i can get a pic and measurements of you want, i dont use it for anything!
does your bike use CVT? oir is it actually geared with auto shift? i had a cl50 that was a 3 speed auto (cs80 engine)
with a fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy
scubabiker

So sorry

Postby jossef » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Really sorry for the late reply. thankyou for your offer on the kick start. I seem to have made the one I have fit, Its not right but it seems to work.
I can't answer your question regarding the gearing as I cant get the bike started. but I would think its just twist and go?
I tried to put photos up but can't ( not very techie with these ere pooters ) love to know how to though.

Thanks again and I'm really sorry for the late reply.
jossef

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:35 pm

I doubt its twist and go??? Surely its a 5 speed manual???
Paul in NZ

Paul in nz

Postby jossef » Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 am

Hello.
No it's definatly a twist and go. I thought it strange at first. but i suppose its because its a french model.( different spec in different countries? ) I've never come across one here in England.
There is no gear lever. It also has two back brakes.
1 normal right foot operated
2 left hand handlebar lever is also a back brake and it has a button on it so that you can lock the back brake. a bit like a hand/parking brake i suppose?
jossef

Postby coffin dodger » Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 am

Hi,

Regarding the left hand lever, some of these Japanese bikes had a 'locking system' you had to pull the left lever while you operated the kick start, some sort of safety device with the twist and go's to stop them running away from you if you applied too much throttle while on the prop stand.

Regards
Ray
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical fault !
coffin dodger

Postby coffin dodger » Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 am

Further to the left hand lever, last night I was talking to a friend who's more knowlegable about 'modern bikes' than I am. He mentioned a 'clockwork' start as used on some Honda and other mopeds, the idea is you lock the rear brake with the left hand lever, kick the starter over 5 or 6 times to wind the spring then release the lever, this allows the rear wheel to spin and act as an oversized flywheel to turn the engine over and hopefully start it. I hope this makes some kind of sense to you and you can get it going.

Regards
Ray
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical fault !
coffin dodger

Postby scubabiker » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 am

haha i know what you mean about that clockwork starter thing, ive always wondered if you press it enough times does it make the bike rev really fast on startup!!! on my cl50, the gearbox had a manual clutch for starting that only worked when you pulled the back brake lever in, i think tye part was actually called the starter clutch. really looking forward to pics of this bike!
with a fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy
scubabiker

Postby jossef » Sun May 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow thanks everyone. I will try and get some pictures on here soon.
If you had to spin the back wheel up, I would presume the bike would need a centre stand to get the back wheel off the floor?
Mine only has a side stand.
I dont think my bike is as 'trick' as that.
To the untrained eye it looks like any other Suzuki ER 50...Except for the obvious no rear sprocket and no gear lever.
I have recently found some web sites that have autos on...only trouble is they are in french! and google translate is not the greatest of tools?
So close yet so far away!

Thanks everyone
jossef

Return to Suzuki