Help needed with latest purchase

Got an old barn find or your Grandad pictured on a classic - send it in and we'll try and help identify it for you.

Help needed with latest purchase

Postby dkw1972 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 am

Hi all, first time posting here.

I've recently purchased this bike, it's said to be a 1936/7 DKW prototype based on an SB250.

It spent many years in a collection in Italy (in this condition) and then it passed to an English collector in the 70's and a couple of years ago it passed to the person I purchased it from.

Does anyone know anything of this bike? Has anyone seen anything like this before? The rear suspension is nothing like the standard SB250 of that time but does appear to be factory made.

Many thanks in advance.

dkw1972

Re: Help needed with latest purchase

Postby Tman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:42 am

I'm always amazed at the engineering design and build quality of German stuff, and this is no different. Wonder what would have happened if some German firm had taken over Tri-BSA in the 1960s? Decent styling with longevity engineering, maybe?
Probably be kids the World over lusting after the latest Bonnie or Bantam... monkey

Sorry, can't help with the question though.
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 pm

The only contribution i can make is~ A split single two stroke ~ apart from that ~ "I know -nut' hin !! "
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby dkw1972 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:16 pm

The previous owner said he had tried to research the bike but got nowhere other than dating it from the matching frame and engine numbers, and now I see what he means, it's nightmare trying to find any info, and most sites are in German, and my schoolboy German is seriously lacking! (holds head in hands wishing i'd paid more attention in school).
dkw1972

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 pm

DKW

In all seriousness ~ I believe a LOT of this can actually attributed to the meticulous and thorough destruction of Germany and its allies during WWII ~

As history shows the intense destruction of any 'occupied/ European' industrial sites in particular was inclusive & complete destruction of records ~ not to mention so many souls who may have been capable that in fact perished be at the point of a gun, implosion and even foul ~

(Ironically one of the classic turn around's was the Ducati factory in Italy. Originally they made radios. So the Allies destroyed their factory! So in an innovation move to rebuild they decided to produce motorcycles~ )

I mentioned previously that my brother endeavored to take on the restoration of a pre-War German/ DKW . I am not even sure whether he kept the bike or he ditched the thing ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm

DKW

Another train of thought...

Regardless of lacking technicals it seems to me you have the basics of a great restoration. How much can the thing vary from any other motorcycle engine ~

Take it on and relish the challenge ~ My brother had a lot less than what you have there ~ rock
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby dkw1972 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 am

Hi Stuart, thanks for your thoughts :-)

I am really looking forward to getting started but as this is my first classic bike restoration I didn't want to get it wrong, and I hoped that I might find some info about the bike to know what the correct parts are that are currently missing.

The forks have 4 x lugs which I assume are for flat bars to mount the headlight but I can't find any other DKW that has the same thing, also the seat mount is different as would be the seat spring locations and the fuel tank could be one of a number, also the rear mud guard is totally different to all the others I have found. Luckily the engine is a standard SB250 of the period so sourcing the missing crank, piston etc should pose little problem.

I suppose at the end of the day if there is very little known about the bike all I can do is use parts from the right period and some common sense to get it restored and it will still be a really interesting piece of DKW history of which there might not be another !

Now all I need is the lottery win to order all the parts :-)
dkw1972

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:53 am

I tell you what though mate,, given you get it al together you can hold your head high as you will have really earned the blue ribbon !!

As I said you have the bulk of the task . now you have to simply ! ~ ( I say that with some humility ) take up the task of restoring it ~

Just remember~ to walk away when you get frustrated and knock the top off a beer instead !

PLEASE keep us posted ~ Ok !

Cheers
Stuart SS
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Wot Stuart said is dead right. I'd add to that that it's better to get something running with maybe some bits not year-perfect than have a non-running project sold on after you're dead.
Also I wouldn't worry too much about that rear guard; I'd bet good money it's not original. Those thorough Germanskis wouldn't have designed a guard so short as to allow all the crap into the gearbox area as this one would, and the top mounts look to be MS strap bent by hand. I reckon it's a front guard someone's stuck on there.
I'd check out the cost and availability of the engine bits first if I was you. Get that together and the peripherals like shape of the petrol tank etc is easy.

I had a pre-war French bike, and the hardship of dealing with Continental European suppliers put me off in the end. Factor in the Euro exchange rate and it would have cost less to do a late 1960s Bonnie.
Tman

Return to Help Identify These Bikes