1921 BSA A 770 V Twin questions / starting

If you're really old and know how to use a computer then well done! - post all really old stuff here!

1921 BSA A 770 V Twin questions / starting

Postby johnjzjz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Hi i am a new guy to the site and i hope i dont step on any toes asking a real question about a bike we bought to re sell

ita a 1921 BSA A 770 V Twin 3 speed with a bunch of levers and no kill switch so my guess you have to know what to do with each lever it does not have a throttle as one would normally have on a motor bike i will try and post a few pictures as this bike is restored and in very fine shape i am in new jersey USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnjzjz

Re: 1921 BSA A 770 V Twin questions / starting

Postby McSnotty » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Hi, lefthand side - top swivel lever is the ignition advance and retard. Hard to tell from photo if the ignition is fully advanced with the lever in the home position or in the pulled back position. Will make a difference in starting and performance not knowing this. The reverse lever (the one on the end of the handlebar) will be the clutch (in most cases) and the other lever (under the swivel lever) will be the valve lifter. This is used to release compression when winding the engine over, getting ready for starting it, and is also used to stop the engine. The bike appears to have the 2 lever throttle AMAC or Brown and Barlow carburettor. Unlike more modern bikes (1930s and up) these 2 levers have to be used in unison to start and ride the bike correctly. The top lever is the fuel lever (but not a choke) and the bottom lever is the air control lever.
If you try to start the bike MAKE Sure that the oil feed tap (if fitted) is turned on.
I am assuming that as you don't know anything about starting the bike that the previous owner wasn't a owner/rider and that the bike may not have been started for quite some time?

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

McSnotty

www.barnstormers.co.nz
McSnotty

Re: 1921 BSA A 770 V Twin questions / starting

Postby johnjzjz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:36 am

Thank you very much - i will use this info to fire it up so i know how to for a buyer --

and you are correct about not starting in a while maybe 20 years thanks again -- jz
johnjzjz

Return to Pre-War/Vintage Bikes