B23 restoration so far

If you're really old and know how to use a computer then well done! - post all really old stuff here!

B23 restoration so far

Postby coffin dodger » Wed May 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi All,
Sorry it's been a while since I posted but here's the story so far, frame & forks blasted, powder coated and reassembled, engine and gearbox rebuilt, wheels rebuilt with stainless rims and spokes, new mudguards, exhaust and silencer, the eagle eyed will spot that it's just loosely assembled at the moment as I fit bits as they come in ready for the final tear down for spraying etc. The tank has been the hardest bit, more holes in it than a fishnet but it's now brazed up and no more leaks, just go to fill it, and flat it down before I start with the paint. Still got a few bits to sort out such as speedo, all cables, chains and wiring but I'm getting there slowly but surely.
Regards
RayImage
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical fault !
coffin dodger

Re: B23 restoration so far

Postby Stuart SS » Thu May 10, 2012 10:33 am

Mate ~ That Puppy looks very tidy !!

Are you doing all the work or are you farming out the essentials ~ Looks great ~ rock

Keep us posted eh ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby coffin dodger » Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 am

I had to farm some work out, Wheelbuilding, powder coating, chroming and had a local shop press a new big end into the crank for me but the rest I've done myself, especially when 'she who cast no shadow' is out, she gets a bit funny about me putting parts in the dishwasher or oven, I really dont know why :112

I'll sort everything else out though apart from the alloy cylinder head, a few fins missing that need replacing, I can weld myself but I'd sooner leave something like that to a pro, I'd hate to cock it up at this stage.

Regards
Ray
coffin dodger

Postby Stuart SS » Thu May 10, 2012 11:15 am

Ray

Obviously a prudent and practical restorer ! I tried it all .. sand \, bead blasting, electro coating.. painting.. some I was good at some was a disaster and some total waste of time ~

Wheel rebuilding my biggest single cock up ! LOL

I suggest some things are really best to the experts.. BUT then I have found some so called experts are a huge disappointment ~ All a learning experience I guess ~

Keep up the good work !!

And Of course we all expect the first test start and ride on U-Tube !! RIght!! rock rock rock :209
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Very satisfying skill, wheelbuilding. Very useful when, on final assembly, you find out there's a small spacer keeping the brake-plate off the frame and you didn't allow for it when you told the wheel builder bloke the required off-set....

Bike's coming on well, too... u k fl ag
Tman

Postby coffin dodger » Thu May 10, 2012 1:41 pm

I never figured out the 'black art' of wheelbuilding, I'm lucky, there's an old chap locally who does it. He's probably in his 80's now, never advertises, it's just word of mouth among the few in the know, if you take a wheel to him, he insists that its as it came out of the bike with spindles, spacers, nuts etc so that he can check the offset, spoke layout and whatever else he needs to do the job right. Hopefully he'll still be around when/if I start my next project.

Regards
Ray
coffin dodger

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri May 11, 2012 10:59 am

looking good so far
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 am

I never figured out the 'black art' of wheelbuilding,

Same here mate !

A former hard core member ~ Digless (RIP) pushed me to try my hand but I was a miserable failure ..and the final insult was that a 'local' bike dealership did the same job for $100 AUD including spokes..

Why would you bother ? Eh ?

Satisfaction Ain't worth that much !!! :158
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Sat May 12, 2012 4:06 am

Stuart SS wrote:
I never figured out the 'black art' of wheelbuilding,

Same here mate !

A former hard core member ~ Digless (RIP) pushed me to try my hand but I was a miserable failure ..and the final insult was that a 'local' bike dealership did the same job for $100 AUD including spokes..

Why would you bother ? Eh ?

Satisfaction Ain't worth that much !!! :158

A/ depends on quality of the spokes at a $100,
B/ learn to do it yourself, not many out there who can still do the job, and one day you may be the only one left who can.
C/ its a knack just like balancing a Grinding wheel, setting up a Dumpy level, Just get the spoke interlace right, at first it may pay to have a few Photos of the wheel before you stripped it down.
D/ its not a black art, its about practice, and doing it Dig was right to push you, looks like you need a new Gremlin on your back about getting down to it, once you master it, you will get the better quality rebuilds on your wheels and you should be using the best quality materials, not just made in China quality.

first you need the centres, and for those starting out a stand with a scribe And very useful a dial indicator ( depends on how fussy your are)
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Sat May 12, 2012 8:40 am

True, that.
If you have a correctly dimpled new rim,a set of spokes of the correct length and can count to four on a consistently accurate basis, you can't go wrong. If you haven't got/can't improvise a jig, then the forks or frame of the intended recipient work fine (but more awkward).

Take photos, measure the off-set and take note of whether the spokes are in or out, lead or trail ie whether the threaded ends of the spokes point into the direction of wheel travel (lead) or back (trail).
If you're building a resto to the highest standard or putting a different wheel or hub into a another frame there really is no subsitute for mounting the wheel and adjusting the off-set to perfect alignment with the frame spine, and the wheel man can't do that unless you present him with the frame....
Tman

Next

Return to Pre-War/Vintage Bikes