B23 as found

If you're really old and know how to use a computer then well done! - post all really old stuff here!

B23 as found

Postby coffin dodger » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:33 pm

if I've done this right, I should have a photo of my B23 'as found' currently undergoing a full rebuild, so far the frame and forks have been blasted and powder coated, the crank rebuilt, the cases soda blasted, the gearbox, magneto and wheels rebuilt, waiting for new bearing and bushes before I start rebuilding the engine, Might as well do everything while its all apart then I know that everythings right, still plenty to do but I'll get there in the end.

Regards
Ray
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical fault !
coffin dodger

Re: B23 as found

Postby Tman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 am

Should be good... :150
Tman

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Looks like not to much to find, suicide shift is going to be the hardest to get used to :155
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 am

No such thing as a "suicide shift" WW. There is a "suicide clutch" on some modded Injuns and H-Ds, but this ain't that either.... :29

Hand change is OK; it just adds to the "involvement" you feel when riding the bike.
Tman

Postby coffin dodger » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:57 am

In my dim and distant past, when old bikes could be picked up for around a Fiver, I had a Coventry Eagle, followed much later by a Norton 16H, both were hand change. they took some getting used to but once you'd mastered it, there wasn't realy any problem, now being old and retired :203 I wanted to return to my misspent youth, I bought and restored an old ex Police LE Velocette, the much famous Noddy bike for those of you that remember them ! That too was hand change (and hand start) I managed that reasonably well but just fancied something older, hence the B23. The LE went to cover the cost of the B23 and hopefully some of the restoration, with a bit of luck and a lot ow work, I'd like to have it on the road by the end of the year, well thats the theory anyway
u k fl ag
Regards
Ray
coffin dodger

Postby Welsh Wizard » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 am

Tman wrote:No such thing as a "suicide shift" WW. There is a "suicide clutch" on some modded Injuns and H-Ds, but this ain't that either.... :29

Hand change is OK; it just adds to the "involvement" you feel when riding the bike.

Depends on where you are in the world hand shift down here is know as a suicide shift.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Set 'em straight then WW. Old Bert Munro would be a-turning in his grave if he could hear them get it so wrong...
Anyway, it looks like B23 Ray is "up here" rather than "down there" so "hand change" is suitable.
So Ray, what does it need to get it running?
Tman

Postby coffin dodger » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Tman wrote:Anyway, it looks like B23 Ray is "up here" rather than "down there" so "hand change" is suitable.
So Ray, what does it need to get it running?

I'm definately "up here" I'm in cold and wet East Yorkshire ! u k fl ag

To get it running, well, I'm waiting for engine bushes and drive side bearing to arrive before I start the engine rebuild, the carb needs a rebuild, new exhaust and silencer, mudguards, tank refurb, new tyres and a lot of parts to be replated including the 'suicide shift', not really a great deal, if all goes well and 'she who casts no shadow' stops moaning about the ammount of money I'm spending, I'm hoping to have it sorted and on the road by August at the latest.

Regards
Ray
coffin dodger

Postby Tman » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 pm

All that in five months? Blimey, that's motoring.
There's been a NoS big end just finished on Ebay, went for something like 55 quid which can't be bad.
Never really been a big fan of BSAs but I've got to say I'm impressed with the build quality of mine. Nicely made and nice design touches abound. Just the wiring and other little bits to finish and it's off for it's first ever MoT.
Tman

Postby coffin dodger » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 am

Tman wrote:All that in five months? Blimey, that's motoring.
There's been a NoS big end just finished on Ebay, went for something like 55 quid which can't be bad.
Never really been a big fan of BSAs but I've got to say I'm impressed with the build quality of mine. Nicely made and nice design touches abound. Just the wiring and other little bits to finish and it's off for it's first ever MoT.

I've had the bike since August last year so I've got a bit of a head start, engine was siezed solid after standing for years minus the cylinder head, Bought a complete NoS rod/big end from Ebay and a local company did the replacement and balancing for me, got a NoS cylinder, a Std piston from Draganfly and had the bore honed to match, I hope to start the engine rebuild next week.

I've always been a fan of the BSA's, probably something to do with my first bike being an ex GPO 125 Bantam u k fl ag

I can't knock the build quality either, considering mine's been standing unloved and untouched for 40 years or more, it's in suprisingly good condition, as they say, they dont make em like that any more !

Regards
Ray
coffin dodger

Next

Return to Pre-War/Vintage Bikes