VJMC Stanford Hall - 30th May 2010

If you Have a classic bike rally, show, autojumble, auction or event worth advertising, drop it in here. Local, regional and International.

Re: VJMC Stanford Hall - 30th May 2010

Postby dig » Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 am

Kim Weaver,umm he had a rough time,lost his wife to Big C and i have not seen him for yonks :202 :203
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby MOUSE » Thu May 27, 2010 10:59 am

Kim ....Mechannica worm
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby -zkptn- » Thu May 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Tman wrote:Don't have to tell me how good, reliable and oil-tight they are; I have two Hondas (used as work hacks) and a little Yammie thing and have had for years.
Doesn't make 'em any more interesting though, and rivet-counters get on me thrupp'nies whichever brand they claim to know all about.... :220

I'm guessing it's all a matter of perspective.
I put mine down to having lived my formative years during the period when the Japanese motorcycle industry were taking enormous technological strides, whilst the majority of what was left of the British industry were still turning out semi obsolete pushrod singles and twins, with ne'er a disc brake nor hydraulic hose to be seen.
And as we are all products of our formative years, and mine no doubt occuring not so far back through the mists of time as some peeps, i'm stuck with a passion for grunty, powerful, full on machinary that can still hold their own today, some 35 years down the line.

I understand there is a purist element who will always think Brit is best, and good luck to them. But truth be told, brit is not best, not any more, not for 40 or 50 years.

Also, I apologise to anyone whose breasts I may have inadvertently stepped on whilst fastidiously counting the stainless steel fasteners on my classic Japanese bike.
'82 CB900F....Silver and gorgeous
'84 CB750F2....My scabby rat
'80 CB900F....Ongoing track bike project
'86 NC21 track bike....Red hot V4 crotch rocket
'91 FZR 1000 (zip ties and duct tape)....Strictly one for the track
-zkptn-

Postby Bill » Thu May 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Brits and Japs both have their traits. Brits are soul giving, living, breathing pieces of historic machinery.. While Japs are the reliable work horses and power houses.

I've got a foot in both camps. I love the Triumph (6T "Thunderbird") for it's grunt and character.. But also love the Honda (VFR800FI) for it's all out power and handling. To work on the Brit is a breeze. Really nice and simple.. The VFR is another story.. Total pain in the arse and too much to go wrong. But on the other hand, the VFR isn't likely to break down as much as the 6T.. That's nothing against it being a Brit, it's more that it needs a fair bit of work to get it to my reliable standard.

I used to be on the side of "Brit's Rule" and Jap crap was Jap crap.. But time passes and ye begin to realise why the Jap's got it right, and the Brits got it wrong. If the likes of Triumph had the same sort of funding as the Japs did in the early day's, then there would still be a viable British motor industry.. But as we all know, it didn't happen like that.

There's no denying that Japanese machines are far superior to the dinosaurs of the British.. But remember that a lot of the engineering and mechanical know-how was gleaned from the Brit's as a lot of our top blokes helped them out.

There is one thing that stands out between the two sides above everything else.. There seams to be more classic Brit bikes around than Japs.. The reason I think is the Brit's made bikes to last a lifetime.. Whereas the Japs made them to be consumable items to last around 10 years before throwing it away in favour of a new one..

:153
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Tman » Fri May 28, 2010 8:59 am

[

But the "Brits didn't get it wrong" though, did they?. The bikes were the designs and products of the times.

There's no denying that Japanese machines are far superior to the dinosaurs of the British..

That's apples and oranges Bill.The designs were 30/40/50 years apart and produced for different markets and times so there's no reasonable comparison to be made.
The fact that there's so many AJS's---Zeniths still around shows that they were viable designs, but ultimately "we" ride and rebuild old bikes because we want to, and if they leak oil, break down or (horror of horrors) are SV or have girder forks, kick start and only four gears, so what?
I don't demand the qualities of daily reliability in an old bike used as an interest rather than transport.

There is one thing that stands out between the two sides above everything else.. There seams to be more classic Brit bikes around than Japs.. The reason I think is the Brit's made bikes to last a lifetime.. Whereas the Japs made them to be consumable items to last around 10 years before throwing it away in favour of a new one..

More like three than ten, I reckon. Still see "quality" Japs (Z1s, CBs etc) being broken and sold for spares by breakers and on Ebay. Says it all........... rock-on

I like 'em all really. My point was that only factory-fresh Japs ever seem to get shown, and rows of show-room condition bikes don't do it for me.
Tman

Postby -zkptn- » Mon May 31, 2010 8:32 pm

The weather held for a good show on Sunday with some superb machines on display.

This BSA looks fresh from a war zone.

A beautiful Triumph.

A Panther. 500 twin.

Italian V twin flanked by a brace of Brits.

A rather lovely Ariel combo

1970’s Kwak muscle

The worlds first superbike

A BSA something or other…

One for the track

A gaggle of Gold Stars

Excelsior powered by a Villiers single

A brace of Jappa Crappa

Bantam

The Sun Motorcycle Company.
'82 CB900F....Silver and gorgeous
'84 CB750F2....My scabby rat
'80 CB900F....Ongoing track bike project
'86 NC21 track bike....Red hot V4 crotch rocket
'91 FZR 1000 (zip ties and duct tape)....Strictly one for the track
-zkptn-

Postby Tman » Mon May 31, 2010 8:47 pm

"The world's first superbike"?.. monkey

Good engineering, neat design and affordable by the "masses" but there's many bikes over the years who could lay claim to that cliche'd and over-worked moniker.
Tman

Postby Bill » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:15 pm

Tman wrote:"The world's first superbike"?.. monkey

Good engineering, neat design and affordable by the "masses" but there's many bikes over the years who could lay claim to that cliche'd and over-worked moniker.

Am with you on that one bud. The Brough Superiour or even the Vincent Black Prince could both be deemed the 'first'..
Bill
Site Admin

Postby GNC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 am

Bill wrote:The Brough Superiour or even the Vincent Black Prince could both be deemed the 'first'..

And here was me thinking the Black Shadow was the 1st :162 :501
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Classic Bike Events