Try a vintage motorbike day in Scotland

If you Have a classic bike rally, show, autojumble, auction or event worth advertising, drop it in here. Local, regional and International.

Try a vintage motorbike day in Scotland

Postby GBC » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Just thought I'd let you know, we're full steam ahead for SUDAY 23rd MAY at Alford, with our very own Scottish 'training day' - your chance to ride up to a dozen motorcycles that were all built before 1930. We've got Rudge, AJS, Scott, Triumph, Sunbeam and a really rather rare Indian Powerplus booked in.

The day comprises of a briefing in the morning for riders and owners, just to lay out the rules I spose, then you sign up for the bikes you want to ride and get out on the track. The owners are on hand to give full instruction in the art of riding hand change and / or lever throttle machines.

These are not the kind of bikes you get a chance to ride every day, even I, road tester and journo for a couple of bike mags, have never ridden these rare bikes. I can't believe some of them are over 80 years old rock

How much does it cost? Just £26 for VMCC members and non members must purchase day membership for £3 - got to have that to be covered by the insurance. I'm told the day usually runs from about 10 - 4, with a break for lunch.

To book, just get in touch with the head office on (01283) 540557 or e-mail events@vmcc.net and say GBC sent you :2up

Any questions, I'll do my best to answer, but I hope some of you will take the chance to come along and see / try the vintage machines. I'm looking forward to it rock rock rock

PS, forgot to say, places are limited so that everyone gets a fair share of biking time, so please book ASAP.

PPS, for anyone travelling from afar, B&B / camping available.
GBC

Re: Try a vintage motorbike day in Scotland

Postby sfb350 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 pm

I went on the Curborough one in 2008 and it was a brilliant experience that inspired me to buy a rigid framed bike (a 1946 B31, still in progress) and my other half, Jon, to buy his 1930s BSA B2. There were several bikes I would happily have ridden anywhere on. In many ways, it was an eye opening experience. I can't think of a better way to spend £26. (And I'm on the VMCC video, on Geoff Brazendales Sunbeam outfit with Jon in the sidecar. Doesn't show the bit where I couldn't reach the brake lever and Geoff had to do it for me though.....)
sfb350

Postby MOUSE » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 am

That will be hoot of a day. :39 Been swapping between cub and T140 lately and have got into habit of checking which side gear shift is on before changing :) and i'm reasonably well co-ordinated being a drummer, but can imagine a foot clutch, handchange with a few other knobs to twiddle about with would be a handful on a bone rattler you are not used to, and then you have to stop :203
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Allanfox » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 am

MOUSE wrote:and i'm reasonably well co-ordinated being a drummer

You could practice by swapping your hi-hat and bass around, not as easy as it sounds!! Then again I am a crap drummer!
Allanfox

Postby MOUSE » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 am

Go directly to http://www.drummercafe.com/ so we don't bore the rest off topic :) :151

The rest ...99 change hands monkey
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Return to Classic Bike Events