Gasket cement

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Re: Gasket cement

Postby Tman » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 pm

Well oi loikes Blue Hylomar, because 1) it works well, and 2) any which does make it to the external casings can be removed with a finger nail. Actually, you can even use a scriber to remove it from the joint line so it can't be seen at all.

{Unlike Red Spermyshite, which even a blast of General DeGaulle's famous halitosis breath wouldn't shift :99 }
Tman

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Tman wrote:
{Unlike Red Spermyshite, which even a blast of General DeGaulle's famous halitosis breath wouldn't shift :99 }

Thats why when used correctly it works so well :250
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby L.A.B. » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:17 am

Graham B wrote:I've heard some people don't like it and think it's out of date ... but no-one says why. I've found it works pretty well but if anyone knows of a wonder new alternative I'd love to hear about it

Professional British car and motorcycle restorers and engine builders don't tend to use it or recommend it (at least none that I know of?) and that tells me plenty. The professionals (in the UK at least) seem to prefer Wellseal.

If I found traces of Red Hermetite oozing (as it invariably does) from the joints of any motorcycle I was intending to buy, then I would either walk away, or seriously reduce any offer that I might make, as to me, the sight of Red Hermetite means that there was a high chance the engine had been stripped and rebuilt by a bodger who very likely didn't have the right tools and probably levered the cases apart with a screwdriver!

I suggest you try Wellseal as that is the wonder stuff?
http://www.motoressentials.co.uk/epages ... ta-well100
L.A.B.

Postby Tman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Thats why when used correctly it works so well

Maybe, but I would think the ability to go hard and crumbly but tenaciously stick to any surface wouldn't be paramount for gasket goo in the 21st century.
It may work, but other stuff does it better, and even the Green Hermetite isn't as common as it once was.
Tman

Postby alanp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:33 pm

On the subject of gasket goo, has anyone used Wellseal on the copper head gasket of an A10? If so, any good?
alanp

Postby Bill » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:38 pm

ye should never use any sort of gasket poo on head gaskets. if you're having problems with it sealing (after the copper has been annealed) then the mating surfaces need looking at.
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Tman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah, my sentiments too.
A smear of grease on annealed copper gaskets is all.
Quite often see Yamahonabond stuff being advocated on US sites, but can't really see the need for it.
Tman

Postby Stevejs » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:18 am

One advantage of Red Hermetite is that it can be removed with methylated spirits (as long as it hasn't been there too long) which is why I tend to use it where the joint is adjacent to paint. Blue Hylomar has to be cleaned off with thinners (or acetone) which will destroy the paint. The 'replacement' Red Hylotite in the workshopsupplies link given by L.A.B. will also need thinners/acetone to judge from the data-sheet.

Does anyone know of a compound which can be cleaned off with a paint-safe solvent?
Stevejs

Postby MOUSE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Ran out of Locktite hi-temp,shop had none but gave me this replacement for zorst and is good. Happens to be on same page as L.A.B's Stag recommendation. Yep 515 master i use mainly for oil filter and rocket gaskets, bung rubbers.
http://www.motoressentials.co.uk/epages ... ts/rtv-red
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Graham B » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:57 pm

I decided to stick with what I know and used the successor to Red Hermetite, Red Hylotite on the Starfire's timing cases recently (hey it's a red bike so it's colour co-ordinated gasket cement). Very pleased with the results.

I had been using white spirit to remove old Red Hermetite - just brush some on, leave it a while and then it comes off easy. I hope the Hylotite version is as easy to get off but we shall see I guess
Graham B

Previous

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop