Thoughts on valve regression

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Thoughts on valve regression

Postby Stuart SS » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:41 am

Pezza asked on his (re-) intro about issues he is shaving with Valve regression.

IMO ~ this is the first time I have heard of ~ Must have some crap fuel in the west eh Perry ~

When I went through the regression issue some years back with the Commando ~ I ended up using Nulon Octane booster.
I actually rang the 1800 number and one of their tech heads rang me back and had a chat . He was of the opinion that ( I think It was the standard recommendation ~ 40 mills per litre ~ although that sounds excessive to me ~ can't find the bottle just off hand ) But the mix is listed on the bottle ~

He felt that this would give an adequate valve protection to pre-unleaded engine ~ (plus the benefit of octane boosting.. )
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: Thoughts on valve regression

Postby Pezza » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:55 am

well stu i recently started using Valve saver and have to put 5 mls to 50 litres my tank the small one for the time being is i think around 8 litres so i put about 5 mls in a tank of unleaded. I was told the bloke who rebuilt the bike to use BP ultimate and another Triumph dealer told me it was crap and use unleaded and a bar, I'm not sure Wat it is called but i think it converts or puts lead back in the fuel and will last 250.000 K's ( according to him anyway. ) I am however not sure how long it will take b4 i start to feel any difference. I have only used the stuff 3 times so far so will have a look, i may have to reset the valves first to see it it helps. Stu did it actuall make your norton run any better? the main issue i'm having is ideling at stop lights!!!
Pezza

Postby Graham B » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 am

Hi Pezza

I suggested mushroom headed tappet adjusters elsewhere ... but have I assumed wrong and the problem you've got is valve clearances tightening up rather than increasing?
Graham B

Postby Welsh Wizard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:08 am

Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:02 am

Impressive list of users. Pricey little things ...aren't they just lumps of solder?
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby dig » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:55 am

well after 80,000 miles since i rebuilt my 350 G Royal Enfield i have yet to reset the valve clearences so i see no point in spending money on gimmicks or flights of fancy
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby MOUSE » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:18 am

"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby dig » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:55 am

:502 right :!
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Pezza » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:12 am

dig wrote:well after 80,000 miles since i rebuilt my 350 G Royal Enfield i have yet to reset the valve clearences so i see no point in spending money on gimmicks or flights of fancy

are you using a lead additive Dig.
Pezza

Postby Pezza » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 am

thanks for that link mouse, it seems to be the same thing a local triumph dealer swears by, he gave me the same story as the link!so i think i will gve it a big miss and keep on using the valve saver. What is everyone else using?
Pezza

Next

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop