Yamaha XJ / Trident T150V front forks springs ~

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:58 am

Hey Blokes..

As many that have followed my T150V Trident project , I have a Yamaha XJ Turbo front end.

I am now quite happy with the performance and the ride is harsh despite the oil change/s and the air pumpers ~ which work just great ~

I have done some research and the best add on I have seen is to fit progressive wind springs!

Now the issue here is that no one lists an 86 XJ turbo !? Additionally there are two springs listed ~

- #11-1106

- # 11-1128

The first seems to be a very common and the bikes I have checked out have the same forks as I have ~ and obviously not necessarily the Turbo and even the XJ 900 has the 11-1106 spring!

Mine are 36mm tubes ~ Anyone got some comparisons or even correct numbers ? Thanks !

Obviously I need to get it right before Iscrew around getting the parts mailed to me or even ordering in Cairns!

Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: Yamaha XJ / Trident T150V front forks springs ~

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 am

Stuart - check the date on the info you find on the net as the fitting of progressively would springs is now regarded as a backwards step.

I know I don't like my Guzzi with them and the factory 'progressive' set up, short strong spring, long soft spring works better IMHO.

I suspect the turbo ones will be the stronger ones as it must have been heavier and theoretically 'sportier'. What about XJ 600 springs?
Paul in NZ

Postby Stuart SS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:03 am

Paul

Thanks ~

I selected the XJ Turbo forks because they firstly look very similar to the original British forks ~ and as the XJ 650 turbo was a very heavy bike, even heavier than the Tridents ! So I figured they would be ideal.

Interestingly though I browsed the web and in particular the XJ web site which I joined and posted my same inquiry ~

But the general feed back i have seen is that the progressive wind springs are a "silver bullet" for the bikes overall ~ and as listed herein I figure it is a relatively economical outlay ~

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-27154-progres ... HJCGhImTOy
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:34 pm

At that price they have to be worth a go...

However I'll bet you a sack full of boiled goats testicles that the 'plush' part of the ride disappears in static sag and all you get left with is the 'firm' part.

But - I've been wrong before and will be again... In fact I was wrong this morning, I looked at the sky and said, nah, it won't rain again... drat...
Paul in NZ

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 am

:158

Yes I know what you mean ~about the weather ~ As we live on top of a mountain range one can walk out the front door and 'me-thinks' "Well-lll~ looks like rain but i bet it is fine down the main street and be shun shine at Yungaburra ~ (where we meet every Sunday~ ) So rig up ~ head out the driveway ~ up the rise and down the otherside straight into showers ~ it rains most of the way to the meet .. and stops when I pull and dismount.. only to hae the rain follow me and start rianing there too !

:158

I was beginning to think I am cursed after buying new Dri-rider boots!!

Currently right here it has reverted to classic high dry season scorching heat at around 34 deg C ~ while moving it is great as the mountain as the air chill factor is great , but this IS the Australian tropical far north and that Sunshine is CRUEL!~ and extremely detrimental to all things !!

Anyway ~ I have taken a punt and ordered the kit. Now as it stands the Trident is great handling , and I was forewarned that fitting a Japanese or Yamaha front end would sharpen the handling especially into corners, which it does ~ ( and also warned that at high speed the thing may tend to get the shakes, which fortunately it has not done ~ but I have only had it to 145 kmh ~

Triumph T150V/ disc brake triple tree V Yamaha XS/XJ triple tree ~ the difference can be seen as the fork tube mounts are noticeably further back to the centre line of the centre mount tube!

Fitting a steering damper is recommended but that seems to be an issue with the Z1 style unit I have ~

The ride is fair to good ~ and the air pumpers run well at 12 PSI ~

But the bumps too often are harsh and it cries out for a better quality shock absorption ~ and as I said the reports I have seen to date suggest that the springs would be the right move.

I don't mind stiff ~ in fact I prefer it, but bone jarring is not comfortable !
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop