Tank liner problem

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Tank liner problem

Postby Steve T80 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:04 pm

I know there have been a load of posts on the subject of tank liners but I would be grateful for a little advice, The tank was refurbished in the late 70's and left until this year when I rebuilt the bike, I suspected that there would be a problem with modern fuel containing ethanol but was quite alarmed at how it has attacked the paint around the filler cap and what appears to be a varnish like finish to the inside of the tank. Obviously the tank needs to be removed and this unstable lining removing. So a few questions:-
1 -Is the best solvent petrol?
2- What should I put in the tank to rattle around, nuts, clean gravel etc?
3- Is there an alternative to removing the coating?

Thanks in advance Steve W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve T80

Re: Tank liner problem

Postby fido » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:52 pm

It is probably Petseal:
http://www.nortonownersclub.org/noc-cha ... m/65252494

I don't know why anyone would want to keep a pet seal in their motorbike petrol tank anyway. Nice bike , by the way, I assume it's a Tiger 80?
fido

Postby Steve T80 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Fido, thanks for the reply some of the stuff on that Norton forum looks a bit dangerous to me. I'm really hacked off, I've finally got the primary chaincase oil tight, opened up the tank filler an all hell had broke loose. I dont even want to think about the consequences of damaging the tank paintwork with paint stripper.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Oh and yes it's a tiger 80 1939 used to be my dads, it last ran in 1963.
Steve T80

Postby Steve T80 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 pm

A small success in a sea of failure,
I managed to clear out all the liner using nitromores without damaging the paint on the tank. I used the thin watery variety rather than the gel, poured a full tin in the tank added some nuts, bolts, washers etc closed the filler, taped over the breather hole and shook the tank, left it for half an hour, added some water, took the tap out and drained the contents. Repeated the rinse a few times and hey presto no more cottage cheese in the tank. Sounds easy but my nipper was going a bit with all that nasty paint stripper next to the nice paint job.
Thanks again Fido
Steve T80

Postby fido » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:47 pm

Ah but does it leak!
fido

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:22 am

I believe Carbon Tetrachloride is a good (previous ) sealant remover

For the novice thats nail polish remover ~ avoid contact.. avoid sniffing ! and avoid naked flames ~

Carefully check the outer skin by tapping with your fingers.. after all if you go dumping a handful of nuts and blts in there you may find they endeavour to exit the tank from the inside out!

I did my Trident tank on restoration and all went well ! I used the POR 15 kit to reline and seal the fuel tank . No complaints to date ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop