Per war valve collets

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Per war valve collets

Postby Steve T80 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:39 pm

HELP!!!!!!
I've gone and lost a pair of collets for my 39 tiger 80, it's so frustrating I have contacted sellers on eBay who have confirmed that the spares they are selling re compatible, but they aren't, early collets are thicker at the root and top, the later ones sit too far down in the retaining cap. Does any one know where I may find some, or alternatively if push comes to shove what material can I make some out of. I still have some EN19T I made the girder spindles from would this be ok?
Thanks in advance Steve W.
Steve T80

Re: Per war valve collets

Postby Tman » Fri May 18, 2012 2:17 pm

I made my spindles from EN6 and EN12. Did that material machine OK, and if so then why not? Those collets aren't subjected to any shock loads or wear, after all.
Tman

Postby marsh12 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:38 am

i like this topic its good i like it............
batman leather jacket batman leather jacket
captain america motorcycle jacket captain america motorcycle jacket
tron legacy jacket tron legacy jacket
leather jackets online leather jackets online
marsh12

Postby Welsh Wizard » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:32 am

EN19 would be a steel I would use for a transmission shaft, my pick would have been SAE1060 (EN43)
Only thing I would do extra is heat till red and wait till colour darkens on cooling and drop in old engine oil or even water at a push. just to give it a bit of hardness to counter any compression. ( after you have the collets made.)
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop