Rigid Rear End

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Rigid Rear End

Postby GBC » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:57 pm

My Tiger Cub has a seized swinging arm, so therefore it isn't techincally a swinging arm, cos it doesn't swing, so can I have your hints and tips on how to make it swing once more.
GBC

Re: Rigid Rear End

Postby Stuart SS » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 pm

GBC
You really can't do a half patch job here.. this is a weekend job and you should remove the swing arm and rebush ~~ No short cuts ~ for your own well being and safety ~ to free up the bushes would be potentially over looking what are severely stressed bushes.. even if they are not damaged it is far better to check ~

Cheers ~ Stuart SS
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Welsh Wizard » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:10 am

As stewie states this is a strip down job, clean up and inspect, get your workshop manual out for the tolerances, if they are close to limite replace, if you replaced them during the rebiuld did you check that they were within working tolerance as some bushes have to be line reamed once fitted, maybe you missed this step and thats why you have trouble now.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Bill » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:06 am

swing arm bushes.. ooooo.. dont envy that job! :o

I'm sure you'll be able to do it.. That spindles going to be a git to remove if it's all solid. A few days before you start taking it to bits, spray the hell out of it with WD-40 or a penatrating oil to help ease it out. ;)
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Snibor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi Bill

if this is really locked in then the following may assist ...

first take the shocks out and using penetration oil (WD40) get some movement going moving the swing arm up and down .... then using penetrating oil again liberally for a few days before the real job and keep moving it up and down ......

then when ready to remove the pin .... i would centre punch the pin .in the middle (thread end of course ) ... get a drill about 1mm smaller than the pin and drill a recess into the pin 2mm or so .... this will provide a nice place for a drift that will not damage the thread .... you now need a drift made of brass or alloy to suit the recess in the pin

get a heat gun (electric blower paint stripper ones are good for this ) on the outside of the swing arm ... use a drift on the spindle to assist with removal ... . start with small hammers and just get bigger until it moves whilst moving the swing arm up and down .... you may need a helper if it's a real bastard to move the swing arm while you are drifting it ... sometimes needs what feels like a bit of brute force to get the first bit of movement ... but like i mentioned heat will assist a lot ...

HTH
steve
Snibor

Postby GBC » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks chaps, good advice there, I know it's a serious issue but hey, off to Geordie land on Friday so I ain't doing it before then! Reckon it's going to need some heat and a big hammer :63

Keep you posted :4
GBC

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop