Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Re: Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Postby MOUSE » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 am

The T140 remote filter mounts in same position but vertically, as opposed to the easy to get at horizontal mounted Norton ones, but still worth having.
http://www.gabma.us/docs/filter_mount.pdf
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby L.A.B. » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Stuart SS wrote: As a result I have a Fleetway filter LF 3460 .

Presumably you mean Fleetguard LF 3460? As I searched for "Fleetway" and found nothing!

Stuart SS wrote:Has any one else bought their oil filter into the 21st Century ?? (After all the original is the same oil filter fitted to a (French ) Simca of the 60s !!!!!!!!!!! )

Any recently made filter would, I hope, have been manufactured with the benefit of modern technology? So I don't really see how the age of the vehicle the filter was originally intended for is going to matter that much (and I doubt the world will ever run out of those filters, well not in our lifetime and the standard Andover Norton replacements are cheap as chips [£5.58 inc. VAT] here in the UK?). Even if this LF3460 filter is made to a higher specification than a standard replacement, would the Commando engine actually gain any benefit from it?

Stuart SS wrote:This adaptor merely screws onto the original housing thread and allows the 'modern' filter to screw onto the outer seal aligning perfectly with the original seal seat ~

Does anyone know the actual thread dimensions required ~

The only adaptor available to fit the Commando filter unit that I am aware of, is the one that allows the use of an Imperial thread filter, I would expect there's probably a Fleetguard filter type available that has the standard 16 x 1.5mm thread?
L.A.B.

Postby Stuart SS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:38 pm

dit dit dit dot dot dit ~ incoming ~ repeating ~

(Who said Morse code was redundant... f  i   r    e )

Repeating ~ Several engineering types in Melbourne took a close look at the filter of now and felt the newer filters were superior ~

They made a number of adaptors to suit the Commando ~ and gave me one ~ (Its who you know ! ~) I have since seen the same similar listed on Ebay had a USA/ UK trader and via their web site ~

I choose to fit a "superior" filter ~ and some like Welsh Wizard choose to change their oil more frequently ~ without a filter ~ I respect this choice ~

Although changing oil and filter at 1500- 2000 Miles feels right for me too~

And given the filters of 35 years ago have not really changed ~ (maybe they have ~ no one really knows ?) ~ and an engine will ALWAYS respond to regular servicing I believe this is the way to go !

And Oh BTW . corect .. my mistake ~ it is Fleetguard ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:21 am

Stuart SS wrote: Several engineering types in Melbourne took a close look at the filter of now and felt the newer filters were superior ~

"Felt" they were superior, that's a very scientific analysis?

Stuart SS wrote:And given the filters of 35 years ago have not really changed ~ (maybe they have ~ no one really knows ?)

Perhaps the engineering types in Melbourne would know?
L.A.B.

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:47 am

Felt" they were superior, that's a very scientific analysis?

:501 I always thought that the majority of us were merely hobos having a bit of enjoyment and dabbling in rocket science ~ not referring to a library of manuals and text books ~ and science wankly ..

Perhaps the engineering types in Melbourne would know?

Probably know more about what time is beer o'clock ~ rather than stone throwing ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby dig » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:34 am

:27 :4 :132
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:48 am

Best watch the form or I will be forced to release the "Tiger" ~ monkey :210 :158 :158 :158
Eh Digless ~ nz-flag111 :501
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby dig » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:27 am

:132
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Postby Stuart SS » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:35 am

Ok ~ I concede ~ we just let the Goat go for it ~

GBC !!! RELEASE THE GOAT!!!! monkey monkey monkey monkey

:29 :29 :29 :29
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby L.A.B. » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:20 am

Stuart SS wrote:I always thought that the majority of us were merely hobos having a bit of enjoyment and dabbling in rocket science ~ not referring to a library of manuals and text books ~ and science wankly ..

If these so-called "modern" filters are more efficient than "old" filters, then I would have thought it would be useful for everyone to know just how much more efficient they are at doing their job and how they achieve it, so that a comparison could be made?
Such as what extra percentage of particulate matter would be expected to remove, and the particle size they would be able to trap compared to original equipment filters, so just normal stuff really, and not rocket* science at all, in my opinion?
It does appear from what you have said (or not said) so far, that you don't actually know if there is any benefit to a Commando's lubrication system or not, you have been told they are better (by some engineering types) and you were happy to accept their opinions,-which is fine, but doesn't actually answer the question, still I suppose we will have to leave it at that for now.

*(notice to admin, typing "rocket" in the normal way causes this: rocket)
L.A.B.

PreviousNext

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop