Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:09 am

I have an updated Oil filter ~ which was 'created ' for me by a diesel mechanic and his tech head mate in Melbourne Australia~ ( Lost touch with them several years back ~ May email anyway )

As a result I have a Fleetway filter LF 3460 .

Now I have seen a similiar adaptor on EBay ~ cannot recall who the trader was.. but I am sure they are on my Web site lists ~ but short of panning through dozens of sites ~

This adaptor merely screws onto the original housing thread and allows the 'modern' filter to screw onto the outer seal aligning perfectly with the original seal seat ~

Has any one else bought their oil filter into the 21st Century ?? (After all the original is the same oil filter fitted to a (French ) Simca of the 60s !!!!!!!!!!! )

Does anyone know the actual thread dimensions required ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: Norton Commando Filter in the New Milleneum

Postby Welsh Wizard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:47 am

Only filter my Commandos have is the metal gorse ones in the oil Tank :153 :203
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:16 pm

WW

I am curious. Is yours a very early model or has it been removed ?

The standard filter was a (PH2839 Fram) That filter also fits the Cit 2CV , Simca and others. Most of which also have long since journeyed to the bone yard in the sky ~

And with that in mind ~ we figured that even oil filter technology has long since evolved ~

I would be considering fitting the filter mount which sits on the frame just in front of the rear wheel ~ near the swing arm mount ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:06 am

Here it is ~

The stock filter threads, they are 16mm X 1.5mm pitch.

A thread adapter is available from http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/ and also CNW.
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:21 am

3 X 1971 750's, no filter other than the oil tank metal one, 1 850 1973 still no filtyer other than in the loi tank, and the 1974 850 frame has a T110 engine being fitted, which if all goes well will have a Morgo barrel fitted before it finished. :210
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby MOUSE » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

Iv'e seen remote filter on Nortons that scew on at the front of frame behind the gearbox, and these would be easiest to service, but visible if you are a purist. No idea who supplies them.
The remote filter that fits hidden behind the wheel, http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyoil.htm have one on my T140. It takes some time to get to it because you have to remove the rear wheel to change it over. But ... this ensures i regularly clean the rear wheel :) more importantly check bearings, oil chain, spokes, swing arm etc while oil is draining from sumps.
Easiest way to remove filter is with a filter wrench. I removed one with a screwdriver levering through the guts of one once, and it got messy, as was on really tight, and the can split.

You can get a magnet thingy that attaches to these to assist attract metal particles, anyone use these, or are they a waste of time?
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyfilterplus.htm

Who was looking for idiot lights, i see they have some ..
http://www.britishbikeconnection.com/
Last edited by MOUSE on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:52 am

REALLY ~ WW

I assume that by your choice ? .. be interested in your theory behind removing the oil filter ~ !!!! Would have tort be detrimental to longevity ~ (??) ~ as opposed to higher pressure or volume ~ :250

:29 :29
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am

WTF ~

It takes some time to get to it because you have to remove the rear wheel to change it over. But .

As far as my manual and the standard as I know it ~ the standard filter is essentially mounted in the same position ~ ?????? ( No way I have to remove the wheel ~ perhaps the T140 is essentially designed on the Commando ? )
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:04 am

Stuart SS wrote:REALLY ~ WW

I assume that by your choice ? .. be interested in your theory behind removing the oil filter ~ !!!! Would have tort be detrimental to longevity ~ (??) ~ as opposed to higher pressure or volume ~ :250

:29 :29

They have never been fitted to the models in 71 only after market kits , never felt the need, just change loi regular, and don't really have any problems with it.

work on the prince that if it ain't broke why fix it.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 am

Yep as I tort ~ ( earlier model+ kit optional )

never felt the need, just changeOil regular, and don't really have any problems with it.

After all I have always run bikes and "GT" style cars including XU-1 and Cooper S and treated them in the same fashion.. MORE than regular servicing ~

And ~ How can I argue with that ~ monkey

:29 :29 :153
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop