Rectifier?

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Rectifier?

Postby New2Me74 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Is it common on these older bikes for the rectifier to go bad? I did the continuity test that my Clymer's Manual had and found out that it is bad. Those things are just over $100 to replace! :93 Speaking of, anyone know of the most reasonable places to get parts for this old Honda? So far Babbits online had it the cheapest.
New2Me74

Re: Rectifier?

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:24 pm

A rectifier is a rectifier.. nothing special about them. Does it have a separate Regulator?
Bill
Site Admin

Postby New2Me74 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Bill wrote:A rectifier is a rectifier.. nothing special about them. Does it have a separate Regulator?

Nothing special about them except the price :53 And yes it does have a seperate regulator. I have now found one on partsnation.com for $96 & a used one on ebay for$20 but I am not too keen on purchasing a used one.
Thanks for the reply,
Jason
New2Me74

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 pm

is it a single or 3 phase alternator? 6v or 12v?
Bill
Site Admin

Postby New2Me74 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Bill wrote:is it a single or 3 phase alternator? 6v or 12v?

I am sorry I am new to this bike & really new to working on bikes in general. I am not sure what phase it is just that it is a 12V system.
A person from another forum has suggested buying a rectifier from Oregon Motorcycle. Says they are much cheaper ($25) & outprform the OEM. I am really considering going that way.
New2Me74

Postby Bill » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:28 pm

a 3 phase alternator will have 3 wires the same colour (usually) going from it to the rectifier. A single phase system will have just the two (again usually the same colour). RS will do a bog standard rectifier that will be more than capable of doing the job. No need to spend silly money on motorbike specific items if it's not needed.

:150
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 am

With you Bill ~

I replaced the bog standard Lucas multi plate unit with a "Dick Smith " Electrical unit for $4 !!!!!!! Has the rating and should work just fine

I can't recall what my Hilda had ~ two or three phase.

But technically as you suggest any thing will do . You just have to work out the wiring.. Hilda are all negative earth , polarity of any rectifer is relevant ~

If the Hilda a unit has the regulator built in, well, you are right up against it then ~ They are not a common fail item ~ full stop ..

As for Hilda spares ~ occh ~ But I have been told there is a an excellent supplier in the South island of NZ as my Boss is a Hilda 440 four owner, and the exchange is good for all except, if you are a Kiwi of course ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby dig » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:52 am

Its in the North Island Stew,try Econohonda has thousands of old stock parts
www.econohonda.co.nz/
:203
dig
Gone But Not Forgotten

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop