Oil In Alternator Housing?

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Oil In Alternator Housing?

Postby New2Me74 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:34 pm

New to the forum, new to bike riding. When I purchased this Honda 74 CS360 for fuel savings it started right up & ran for the previous owner while I looked it over. Several days later (of course after I had already paid for it) I didn’t get so lucky. It started but reluctantly & it wouldn’t stay running for very long. I started with checking the plugs to see if they were wet & to see what kind of shape they were in. They were wet (so I am getting fuel) & they were in good shape but one of them had stripped threads which I am sure wasn’t doing the compression in that cyl. any good so I had a friend of mine put a helicoil in it to fix that problem. While I was checking the points I noticed that oil ran out of the alternator housing as soon as I loosened it. Is there a seal back in there or do I have more drastic problems like cracked block? I see the starter chain back in there so is this area supposed to be lubricated?
Thanks in advance,
Jason
New2Me74

Re: Oil In Alternator Housing?

Postby L.A.B. » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:04 pm

New2Me74 wrote:I see the starter chain back in there so is this area supposed to be lubricated?

= Yes.
L.A.B.

Postby New2Me74 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks L.A.B.
After seeing the starter chain & a veiw in my Clymers Manual that showed what appeared to be a port where oil would flow through I started feeling a little better about oil being in there. I just thought it was odd for an alternator to be submerged in oil. Whew thats great news. Now I just need to get the head put back on from where I had the helicoil job done & try this one more time.
Thanks again,
Jason
New2Me74

Postby Stuart SS » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:20 am

"New2"

Very common for Alternators to be immersed in oil ~ For example my Commando and the Trident are all wet ~ debatable perhaps as to the virtue of such as hot oil probably only serves to be detrimental to electrical cable/s ~

And there is very few moving mechanical parts that do not require some form of lubrication ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby New2Me74 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks SS,

Like I mentioned above I am new to working on cycles so I had never seen a wet alternator before. It just that most of the time electricity & liquids don't mix. Maybe thats why I keep hearing about how poor the charging systems on theses old Hondas are. But like I mentioned to LAB this is great news, now I won't have to tear into it further to replace a seal or worse deal with a cracked block.
Thanks again to both of you,
Jason

Stuart SS wrote:"New2"

Very common for Alternators to be immersed in oil ~ For example my Commando and the Trident are all wet ~ debatable perhaps as to the virtue of such as hot oil probably only serves to be detrimental to electrical cable/s ~

And there is very few moving mechanical parts that do not require some form of lubrication ~
New2Me74

Postby Kickstart_Wizkid » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:32 am

Yea like LAB said, you are in the clear.

Make sure you have it on its center stand while you have the generator plate off: the oil is free to leak out if you let it over on the kickstand!
Kickstart_Wizkid

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop