Lucas Rita

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

Lucas Rita

Postby GNC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:43 am

Bike ran faultless yesterday on toyrun even commented to my mate same (need to learn to keep mouth shut). Was weird though when all bikes started up not to hear your own bike running monkey
When finished we took off for home...got through 3 traffic lights waiting for fourth to turn green bike dies.
No spark..... headlight dull glow....cow time rapidly approaching
Thank christ for tobacco as 2 smokes later it roars to life on 1st kick

New stator 14months ago

only normally ride open roads where as this ride was a good hour or more at under 3000rpm with headlight on

could it be battery was not getting charged during this time & was enough to stop EI from sparking?

I use an Oxford tickle charger which always shows batt in strong condition.

On the subject of low tension leads on Rita... the existing wires seem to be hard wired into module.....so to replace them just join as close as possible to unit under timing cover?
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Re: Lucas Rita

Postby Graham B » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:53 am

Sounds like the RITA is working fine. And down to a very low voltage if it was sparking right up until the headlight was a dull glow.

A fault in the charging system? The battery will have recovered a little while you were enjoying a smoke, hence it firing up again.
Graham B

Postby Bill » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:07 pm

With Graham on this one. I'd be having a look over the alternator output. Should be around 13/14v at the battery (with the engine running).. but not over 14v. The alternator will only kick out a good amount of power over about 1500/2000rpm. You say the stator was changed.. What about the rotor? They lose their magnetic 'potency' eventually.. could be that it's weak.
Bill
Site Admin

Postby Allanfox » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 pm

All the above and the simple ones also, check all connections and condition of how the bullets are fastened to the wires also the rectifier, battery may be good when on a charger and alternator may kick out plenty but if the recifier has gone south the charge won't get there. Also I know (from experience) that when the Zener goes it can boil the bettery as the excess charge can't run to earth, can it also be faulty the other way and leave an open earth link that would drain the battery or charge? All smoke and mirrors to me I am afraid!
Allanfox

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 am

Have you checked the rectifier
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby GNC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:49 am

:29 All

Unsure if rotor replaced Bill. The last work I paid someone else to do on my bike included sorting electrics. Zener & rectifier were replaced with one black finned box mounted in same position on rear gaurd as rectifier was?
Shortly after that work I found the old forum/new forum....Long story short...have only paid for parts ever since
Thanks to the main stays of this forum!!

Anyway what you reckon should get myself a multimeter??
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Postby Graham B » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:31 am

Was the old zener removed or disconnected? It should have been when the reg/rectifier was fitted. If still connected it won't be helping.

One vote here for getting a multimeter, preferably a digital one. Takes all the guesswork out of it and will pay for itself in no time at all. Just probe the voltage at various places to see what's going on.

At the battery to see if charge is getting there

At the output of the regulator/rectifier

Across the wires from the alternator

You end up with a map showing how far power goes and can soon see if it's getting lost somewhere

In the UK digi multimeters should cost about £10 ish so try not to spend more than this. Good luck :250
Graham B

Postby GNC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Zener removed
T140E
GNC
Site Admin

Postby GNC » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:49 pm

T140E
GNC
Site Admin