WHEEL SIZE

Need technical help - Restoration help and tips, engine rebuild or just offer your knowledge or services - drop it in here.

WHEEL SIZE

Postby Flewbags » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 am

I've a Triton in the process of being rebuilt (aren't they always??) and I am looking to replace the rims. I'm considering reducing to a 17" rim front and rear (from 18" rear & 19" front at present). My reasoning is to give me a wider tyre choice and allow a wider rear tyre (in conjunction with a new swing arm). I'm not a traditionalist and the bike is already 'modded' so there are no issues with originality. My concern is that it may disrupt handling through changes to the trail length.
Has anyone any comment on this or indeed is anyone running a Norton Slimline on Short Roadholders and 17" wheels?? :20 u k fl ag
Flewbags

WHEEL SIZE

Postby Stuart SS » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 am

Flewbags

(Take two as a power surge took out my last post just as I was going post !!! )

My Trident Special as seen on site Photo section ~

I have a 19 " front with an Avon Roadrider 100/90 19

Rear is an 18" Avon 120/ 80 Road rider.

The two profiles should ideally balance `~ other wise I will tune the forks..

Agreed as the rim diameter decreases the tyre range increases ~ I was always planning on the Avon's as they are a superb handling tyre~

Bill might be able to recommend a maximum rear size as he is the Chop man ~ Not sure what a Norton frame can handle max..
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Re: WHEEL SIZE

Postby Flewbags » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks SS.
Yeah I agree that Avons are a nice tyre for the job. Running AM 20 & 21 at the moment but as I need to replace my rims anyway, and with more recent m/cycle developments since the wheels were last built, I was just wondering if there would be any advantage or disadvantage in reducing wheel size while I have the opportunity. Just don't want to make an expensive mistake. There must be good reason why most modern machines have gone to 17" rims but I don't know what it is.
Flewbags

Re: WHEEL SIZE

Postby MOUSE » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 am

For short asses like me monkey
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Return to The Classic Bike Workshop