First Post

Love the US classic bike scene, you either love it or hate it - Harley, Indian etc.

First Post

Postby Allanfox » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Interestingly enough, this is the first post in this section, wonder why?

Quite fond of Indians :40 and pre shovel Harleys I must say, likely to own one, unlikely must be my responce, but you never know!
Allanfox

Re: First Post

Postby Welsh Wizard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

Allanfox wrote:Interestingly enough, this is the first post in this section, wonder why?

Quite fond of Indians :40 and pre shovel Harleys I must say, likely to own one, unlikely must be my responce, but you never know!

Whens the last time a Hardly Ableson rider waved at you on the road , unless you were on another Hardley Ableson :62

Hopefully the HD rider will all spring to :166 defend there mounts

( besides it would seem HD rider refer to there rides as Scooters, darn I always put scooters in ther Vespa and Lambreta Cat :68 :)
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby kawa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:22 am

Got a liking for old Indians, an like most folk don't think I could afford one, well not one of the Big ones :sad:

Seen some nice Indians on holiday last year, some of you might know where the museum is(hint NZ)

I see the Indian International Rallys on up my way this year, might take a run down for a wee look :220

http://www.oldindians.net/
Last edited by kawa on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kawa

Postby Gravesone » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:00 pm

I like Harleys after having a ride on one at the Bike-Show at the NEC.

The're not really suited to the climate and roads in the U.K. Winter road salt will destroy a HD.

Super ride on a hot dry sunny-day, but again a HD is not complete until you've spent another fortune on the 'Screaming Eagle' stuff.

:208
Ring-a-Ding-Ding
Gravesone

Postby stavros » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Took advantage of a free test drive on an 833 a while ago, and i could see the reason for getting one, the noise and riding position were fun, but in reality, in scotland with no garage, too much hassle too much rust and solvolotausol..... still a fun couple of hours.

and the HD drivers up here do nod or wave.......... occasionally.

stavros

stavros

Postby MOUSE » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:54 am

Did ya check they didn't fall off after waving :151

http://www.indianmotorcycleclub.co.nz/
"My arthritis has gotten so bad I can hardly grip anything, my cataracts seem to get worse every day, I have gout in my right leg and can't bend my knee and I can't hear anything.
But thank God I can still ride
MOUSE

Postby Welsh Wizard » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:19 am

stavros wrote:Took advantage of a free test drive on an 833 a while ago, and i could see the reason for getting one, the noise and riding position were fun, but in reality, in scotland with no garage, too much hassle too much rust and solvolotausol..... still a fun couple of hours.

and the HD drivers up here do nod or wave.......... occasionally.

stavros

Apart from summer its only the brave that ride a motorcycle in Scotland, still remember having to use a heat gun on the front drum of my Norton Commando one Jan in the late 70's in Kielder, just so I could go to the pub to get Cigs
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Warr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:27 pm

Gravesone wrote:I like Harleys after having a ride on one at the Bike-Show at the NEC.

The're not really suited to the climate and roads in the U.K. Winter road salt will destroy a HD.

Super ride on a hot dry sunny-day, but again a HD is not complete until you've spent another fortune on the 'Screaming Eagle' stuff.

Well, having run an '89 FXR for the last 9 years the only SE bit I actually NEED is the ignition module. So that is the only one I have got. Wierdly it was cheaper than the standard unit when that died. And I don't need no shiny bits.
But up to the mid 90s they don't stop in the wet. Which they have in common with most other bikes with stainless / chromed discs of that time.

That said, it has been almost boringly reliable and though it does nothing brilliantly (except munch miles) it does nothing particularly badly. I never thought I would say it (as when I had the Old Brits I always said I wouldn't have a Harley if they were giving them away with cornflakes) but I would buy another. Or possibly two. A Sporty would be a nice little bike for just fooling about on.

JW. A man in a flame suit :-)
JW - A man in a flameproof suit :-)
Warr

Postby Allanfox » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Hi Warr, not related to the great Fred Warr Harley dealer of legand? :208
Allanfox

Postby Warr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Allanfox wrote:Hi Warr, not related to the great Fred Warr Harley dealer of legand? :208

I am not certain. Prolly not, though my Grandfather reckoned that Fred was a rather distant cousin.

There are a fair few Freds & Johns in the family tree but Dorset men, not Lunnoners.

But the name has raised a few smiles in Harley bouti###shops :-)
JW - A man in a flameproof suit :-)
Warr

Next

Return to American Bikes