the law and classic bikes

General Banter and Chat - Got a question that doesn't fit anywhere else - drop it in here, anything goes as long as it's classic bike-related!

the law and classic bikes

Postby Ponkster » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:55 pm

I am currently working on / riding a 1959 BSA C15 which has no silencer - I was wondering what rules and laws apply to this bike as most i look at apply to modern bikes,
Its not too loud - quieter than my fully legal modern jap bike - but would like to know where I stand if I get pulled by the police.

thanks

Ponkster (Chris)
Ponkster

Re: the law and classic bikes

Postby Paul in NZ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:11 am

Ponkster wrote:would like to know where I stand if I get pulled by the police.

thanks

Ponkster (Chris)

I think you would be standing beside it....

Loud is loud.... I hate arguing with policemen, fit a visible and effective muffler
Paul in NZ

Postby Ponkster » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:59 am

Thanks for the pun and obvious answer - my question was in reference to what UK law / regs relates to vintage / classic motorcycles.
My reason for no silencer is due to the position of rearsets and my incredibly long legs - yes I know - rearsets on a C15 - its just a bit of fun having a c15 cafe racer!
Ponkster

Postby Welsh Wizard » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:06 am

Cut and paste from the following site

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/08%201246.pdf

I forwarded your request to my colleagues who have responsibility for the MOT, and
they have informed me that the MOT Inspection Manual which you have quoted is
that for motorcycles, which has subtle differences from that for motor vehicles which
states:-
With the engine running assess subjectively the effectiveness of the silencer
in reducing exhaust noise to a level considered to be average for the vehicle,
and the Reason for Rejection (RfR) is; a silencer in such condition, or of such
a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above
the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.
It is intended to make amendments to this part of the manual in due course. The
instructions will include an instruction to assess the exhaust noise with the engine
being revved, as currently it is assessed at idle, also to include a reference to a
standard silencer in the Reason for Rejection, as in the Motorcycle Manual. As
stated in the Method of Inspection wording, the test is subjective, and therefore relies
on the tester s judgement. MOT testing stations are not required (or permitted) to
use noise meters assess the levels of exhaust noise. However, as you intimate in
your e-mail, an MOT is issued to a vehicle and only confirms that it met the minimum
standard required at the time of test. Therefore, whilst it is a big job, there is
nothing to stop a person swapping exhaust systems purely to pass a test, and then
changing it back afterwards.
Exhaust noise limits are specified in the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use)
Regulations 1986 as amended and the limits vary depending on the vehicle age and
type. The user of a vehicle that is in contravention of these regulations is committing
an offence, regardless of whether the excess noise is due to the exhaust condition or
type. The police are responsible for dealing with issues of this nature.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986 ... view=plain

I think you will find it is very much the whim of the cop who stops you, if it was a car easy any thing over 80 decibels and you in big do do's
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Stuart SS » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:04 am

What intrigues me is the fact that many of the Hurley Knuckle headers run t are LOUD and raucous.. and in NO way could be interpretated as pleasant sound..

Just pure crap ~ IMO ~

Yet the constabulary here in Ozz will 'rumble' anything else if deemed too loud ~ as I keep saying the World is going to Crap in a shopping trolley ~

But in short a carefully chosen muffler will enhance as opposed to the crap sound/s emitted by a total lack of muffler ANY DAY !

:155 :155 :155
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Location: Or-strailia's tropical paradise; Far Far North Queensland !

Postby Welsh Wizard » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Apart from that SS you see a lot of new bikes with these fancy loud exhaust, have you noticed how much the bikes back fire with them on , to little back pressure in an exhaust can do a lot of damage to the engine.
Welsh Wizard
Global Moderator

Postby Tman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:44 pm

So apart from the bike looking "unfinished" or like some Red-neck's farm hack, and apart from even the most dumb-arse copper being able to spot that the bike is clearly unsilenced and therefore illegal, and apart from the engine almost certainly running worse for having no silencer, I'd say yep, why bother fitting one? :1204
Tman

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:09 am

have you noticed how much the bikes back fire with them on

Totally John and my Trident post on site is a shining first class example when I had bad exhaust stutter on back throttle and lacking performance ~ ( aka Tman!) ~ until I played around and fitted the baffles to the T120 Stock mufflers ~ (Of course I had to tweak the baffles as I did not have nay specialty test equipment.)

The baffles radically improved performance and while this resulted noticeable level of decibels, proved to be a Big plus over all ~
So totally agree with your comments Tman ~

What do you want a farm / paddock HACK or a classic with style ~ And IMO unless you are going to rev out a single which sounds great ~ it will just sound like a bucket of CRAP~ armed with straight through exhaust~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Postby Ponkster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:27 pm

thanks for the rants , veiled and not so veiled insults - still non the wiser about which laws and rules specifically apply to classic / vintage bikes which was the crux of my initial enquiry.

To set your minds at rest I have no intention to ride my wee BSA with out a silencer - the reason for removing the traditional silencer pipe is to free up space for rear sets - I am in the process of making an in pipe silencer which will give the appearance of a straight pipe with out the loutish sound.
Ponkster

Postby Stuart SS » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Ponkster

Interesting debate ~ well no debate really ~ seems most of us are in agreement ~ about back pressures, silencers and appearances ~

Suggest you Google your "local" Road worthy standards and that will I am sure explain the standards ~
Stuart SS
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Spoke & Hub Pub